Clipping advise needed. . .

Flint12

Visit site
Hi,

I have a very sensitive lad, but only from the knees down. He never used to let you clip him, but over the last year i think he now quite likes it. However due to him having a pretty bad history of mud fever he will not happily let you clip his legs out. The last time he was clipped out it took us aout 45 mins to do body, neck belly and down to knees and then about 2 hours to do knees down, then when you go back to hog him and do his face he stands there asleep.

I was wondering whether it would work if i bought a quiter pair of trimmers to do his legs? It would mean i would be able to try and desensitize(sp?) him to them on a daily basis, and he might not object to it as much.

The only thing i have found so far to work is sedating him, which i hate having done. I tried sedaline about a month ago and it didnt touch him, twitching him doesnt work, does for other things but not clipping.

Anyone got any ideas what to do with him? And i know i could leave the legs alone, but due to how i treat his mud fever i take them of.

Any thoughts ideas would be greatful :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I wonder whether he might actually be better with legs (and therefore any feather) left on? My Welsh only used to get mud fever when I clipped his legs off. If I left it on, he didn't get it. Same with the IDx I have now - I left his legs on (he gets some feather but not loads) last winter and he was fine but when I clipped it off towards the end of the winter (gave him a full clip from the hunter he'd had all winter), he promptly got mud fever.

Otherwise yes, I do think you can desensitise them and trimmers might help.

better half

Visit site
Sound like you are doing well as you are

Get some cordless clippers some smallers one can make more noise.

Once they are on, get him used to them at his shoulder before moving down the legs each time.

Do this in the school not in a stable or tied so if he wants to move he can, but the goal is to progress at a rate so he does not feel the need to move.

Before putting the clippers on him just use the back of your hand while holding the clippers so he can feel the vibration through your hand.

Watch out doped horses can still kick.

Flint12

Visit site
Chesnut cob- He had the worst mud fever with the feathers on that is why i take them of, he is also clipped all year round. I know other horses who are the other way round, where they are better with them on. He is also v. pink skinned so that doesnt help. I woud love it if i didnt have to take them of but as i know he will get it i prefer to be able to get at it to treat it.

better half- Would you reccomend any particular trimmers? I would presume i would need a heavey duty trimmer? I really dont know lol. Odly enough he has never so far kicked out as such, he just does anything he can so we cant get near his legs, can get a bit scary at points, but i genuinely think he is scared of them. I will defo do it in the school that is a super idea, lunging pen probably a good place.

Thanks for all ideas :)