clipping and rugs

Becky101

Visit site
Maybe a stupid question, but ... was wanting to get my horse clipped in a high trace clip, but none of my rugs have neck rugs on, will he get too cold do you think? He is turned out in the day and in at night.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo has all his neck clipped out and Chancer has the bottom half done. Both don't wear neck covers and are out between 8.30 and 4 and in at night.

That said they are thick skinned types and are still in their summer turnout rugs during the day - it still really is not cold yet.

Years ago we never had neck covers and all my TBs had full neck clips and were fine.

Other thing good thing about rugs without necks is that your mane won't get rubbed away. Bad thing - it gets filthy unless you bag up like I do.

KateStartin

Visit site
I'm sure he will be fine, he will have hair left on his neck, even a little is remarkably insulating. After all it wasn't so long ago that rugs didn't have necks!

eekmon

Visit site
No! I personally don't like rugs with necks, mine has a blanket clip and is fine
smile.gif
Rugs with necks have only been around a few years, so don't worry! Mine used to have a jute rug and a Witney blanket and has survived the last 23 years with me ( and no neck cover
wink.gif
)

tazet

Visit site
i agree don't worry about necks so long as you have a good rug on his body and as you said he will be in through the coldest part (night) all my old hunters used to wear was an old canvas type with a jute under it the sort that takes 2 to lift and they were fine and fully clipped. modern age is a bit on the pampering side and some of my liveries have so many rugs on there horses god knows what they will do when it snows lol

Chex

Visit site
I only use a full neck if its snowing, or chucking it down (I find in a normal neck it just pours down their shoulders) and he usually has a blanket clip.

1928sky

Visit site
Mine has a full clip and doesn't have a rug with a neck on. She is out all day and comes in at night. She seems perfectly happy like this it just depends how hardy they are.

Becky101

Visit site
thanks, just needed reassurance! some people at the yard that i am on can be a bit funny and only accept things done their way, (all horses rugged up to the eyeballs!). x x

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I have to be honest I use a light weight neck cover to help keep mine clean rather then warm. We try to ride ours every day, so it helps if we can save time on grooming. Mo loves to cover her head & neck in as much mud as possible. Bailey is not so bad but being a light palomino is almost as bad as a grey. Horses have managed for years without neck covers, & the down side is you do have to keep an eye on them incase they rub the mane.