clipping and straight lines!

vikuca

Visit site
Just wondered if there is a trick to getting straight lines when clipping? I've never clipped before and I've had a go this year but the lines of the clip are very very wobbley!! I would post a pic to show you all how bad it is, but would be far too embarrassed!!
blush.gif

I'm attempting a trace clip, but so far I have just done the bare minimum to give me some room to tidy up (thank God I was sensible enough to do that!!)
Any advice gratefully received
crazy.gif

Vicky

sugarnspice

Visit site
I always put my finger under the hose and mark the lines out on him that way. Then, clip to about half an inch under the line I marked, then just use the edge of the blades to run along the line. It's just practice though
smile.gif
, the first time I clipped him it looked as if I'd done it under the influence!

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I know some people chalk the lines first.
One of mine is a grey, so I dont really have that option!
Also, that pony is quite nervous of being clipped, and when I come to do his hind legs, he tends to crouch like a cat about to pounce, so those lines are VERY interesting!
blush.gif

Baileyhoss

Visit site
i use magic marker.

Try and be confident and run the clipper the entire length of your line to give the best chance of a straightness. You'll never get it straight doing bit at a time.

f x

Midymahem

Visit site
I clipped the first time yesterday and my lines are awful (in fact alot of the clip leaves a lot to be desired!).

But hey, thank god for full neck rugs, covers it all up - plus others on the yard have said, it will only get better as you do more!

vikuca

Visit site
Mine is a grey (well, pink really! he has a bit of roan in him) and I did try blue chalk but it didn't show up that well. Where do you get Magic Marker from Baileyhoss? (sorry to be thick!). I think my prob has been that I've just been doing bits at a time so I will have a go at doing the entire length of the line and see if that helps.
... stupid question - you do clip against the lay of the hair, don't you? I was reading stuff online that seemed to suggest you only do that on the head.

.... Midymahem, maybe we should start a "clipping disasters" thread with pics!!

Baileyhoss

Visit site
Magic marker or think felt tip pen, it's not specially for horses - supermarket, post office, most shops really.

Yep, always go against the hair. If the hair is long in bits (overhanging your line) just turn your clippers over (blade sole on top) and hold at a 90 degree angle to the horse to nip the hairs off, don't worry you won't cut into him. you can also do your face line like this - take the edge down the length of his face to create the line, then turn your clippers back over and clip up to the line. Practice makes perfect.

F x

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
lol I went for a hunter clip this year but it looks terrible as I just got it so wrong. It looks different either side, that now I'm contemplating taking it all off. Would this be wise ? To be fair it was the first time I had clipped. She's in a rug covering it all up so I don't have to think about it for now. Am so embarassed.

trendybraincell

Visit site
I got a new set of clippers this year and I was so impressed with them that I clipped half of his saddle patch off!! What a wally!!
I've decided I'm just going to take it off as its not really effective as it is.

ladyt25

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about the hunter clip looking a bit uneven - nobody sees both sides at the same time anyway do they! Plus most of the time it'll be covered with a rug/saddle anyway!

_unregistered_

Visit site
Ohh this thread makes me feel better - I did my grey mare last weekend - she started with a chaser clip which went absolutely wrong so I turned it into a blanket clip which is nearly as bad - i quite nearly took it down to hunter but decided to just use a large saddle pad and trot mostly when outside of the yard so people can't inspect her too much, on the yard its fine she's full neck rugged so no-one sees her.