Clipping children's ponies

MouseInLux

Visit site
This is our first year with my daughter's pony. I'm not expecting to need to clip him because my daughter is only 6 and I can't see her working him enough to need clipping. He's a Heinz 56 imported from Ireland with feathers and lots of fuzz on him.
So mum's and dad of 6 ish year olds who ride of the lead line. Have you ever needed to??

zaminda

Visit site
I have clipped a lot of small children's ponies. Reason being they are so seriously hairy! Think it varies between pony clubs but some areas they all seem to be clipped. Plus it's done for ease if they get wet they can dry much quicker.

Chuffy99

Visit site
I agree with you OP, hate seeing ponies clipped for an hours work a week, cold ponies misbehave, until he's working up a sweat leave him natural with possibly just a lightweight to on to keep him clean for riding.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I used to clip my daughters pony when she was 6 year old. I used to do it early around now full clip, then it wasn't to cold she didn't get naughty then trace clip the rest of the winter then early spring full clip again to save brushing all the hair out. Worked well for me she never got sweaty, she may have got bucked off but that's another story and was nothing to do with the clipping as happened all year ��

rowan666

Visit site
I clip my daughters pony but only because she's always overweight and it helps slim her down over winter, this will be the first year in proper work (pony only recently broken) so rather than the full clip she usually gets she'll just be getting a trace or bib clip (she'll get a full clip if work isn't enough to shift the weight though). If your pony isn't in need of shifting a few pounds or in actual "work" I wouldn't bother, it's so much easier when you don't have to faff around with rugs

Limbo1

Visit site
Don't clip mine. They live out rugged if needed depending on age weight etc. Find they sweet up at a pc rally but a wicking rug and a drive home are dry. My exmoor x dartmoor has an amazing coat that wicks moisture away from skin. He is wet to touch but dig deeper his skin is dry.

MouseInLux

Visit site
I agree with you OP, hate seeing ponies clipped for an hours work a week, cold ponies misbehave, until he's working up a sweat leave him natural with possibly just a lightweight to on to keep him clean for riding.
He gets worked at least 5 days a week (3 by my daughter and 2 by his sharer) but even in the summer he only breaks a real sweat when I school him once a week... I think we'll see what he's like. I have my own clippers so I can always hack some off :)