Clipping cob this late?

SammyDingle

Visit site
Has anyone clipped this late before?

I normally do my last clips after Christmas, but my trad is extremely hairy, to the point where he sweats after a short ride. It is all long cat hairs and scruffy.

I know it will impact his summer coat, but I am even considering clipping him all year round, he is always too warm

Damnation

Visit site
Has anyone clipped this late before?

I normally do my last clips after Christmas, but my trad is extremely hairy, to the point where he sweats after a short ride. It is all long cat hairs and scruffy.

I know it will impact his summer coat, but I am even considering clipping him all year round, he is always too warm

If your horse is uncomfortable then clip away! I have yet to meet a horse where clipping late "ruined" their coat :)

hypopit

Visit site
I'd clip if they are very sweaty, their coat will always grow back fine no matter what time of year it is. I have clipped mine in the summer when in heavy work, as he has a course native coat. It helped him a lot, but i did have to put a summer rug on him if there was the odd rainy,cooler night out. won't matter if they are in overnight.

KVH

Visit site
I'll be clipping in a day or two too, I also tend not to clip this late but it's a necessity!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I've just clipped my cobby youngsters again who are out naked in the field - they are extremely sweaty and itchy so would rather them be comfortable and risk a possible dull summer coat.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My oldie wintered out without a rug for the first time in god knows how many years. He's got great woolie coat and this has reminded me to send my blades off for sharpening, he takes ages to lose it all under normal circumstances so I must clip him before he gets any itchier. I have no intentions of showing him and even if I did I would still clip for the benefit of the horse not a rosette.

SammyDingle

Visit site
I think we are going to have to clip our boy all yet round too, he is always itchy and sweaty if worked even slightly harder than normal..

Now I will have to learn to blend to feathers!