clipping dilema...

showjump2003

Visit site
This winter I want to full clip my horse. Problem is though, my parents look after her for me most the week and although they are great, I don't want my mum to have to layer rugs. I want her to wear one rug during the day and one rug at night. My question is, If I full clipped her, would she cope in one heavy weight rug? As in a 400g turnout and a 400g gram stable?

brightmount

Visit site
400gm is very heavy so I'm sure that would be fine, assuming you're south of the Arctic Circle.

I would have two turnouts though in case it gets wet and you can't dry it overnight.

showjump2003

Visit site
I have plenty of rugs as a spare! I could open a tack shop! lol

I'm in North Wales near the sea so it doesn't get as cold as other places, as in we rarely get snow ect. She will be stables at night but out during the day.

She's arab x welsh but not very arab. She looks like a welsh cross as opposed to an arab class. She's 14 years old and in fantastic health and up to weight.

princesskelly

Visit site
well i have a connemara and she is fully clipped and at one point last year she was wearing 3 thick rugs!
crazy.gif
but each horse is different your's might not feel cold like mine.
smile.gif

showjump2003

Visit site
If I clip her and she does feel the cold then I won't let her go cold lol! But I don't really want to full clip her if I think she won't be ok with the one heavy weight

eekmon

Visit site
She should be ok! Only one way to find out! Years ago we only had an old blanket and a jute rug
shocked.gif
and our horses survived!!
shocked.gif
Over rugging is MY pet hate!!