clipping experts

paddy555

Visit site
my horse appears to be allergic to Liveryman clipper oil. (the only other thing could be the Lister blades)
Do anyone know of a more suitable oil please?

mainpower

Visit site
I use Wahl, I buy it in really big cans from the local Afro-Caribbean hair shops where it's really cheap.
But obviously I have no way of knowing if your horse would have a reaction to it!

PorkChop

Visit site
I changed to Oster spray because one of ours can react to clipper oil. Actually just clipped her again this week and no reaction.

I am always careful to hot cloth her with something like hibbiscrub immediately after clipping and this seems to help too :)

paddy555

Visit site
I changed to Oster spray because one of ours can react to clipper oil. Actually just clipped her again this week and no reaction.

I am always careful to hot cloth her with something like hibbiscrub immediately after clipping and this seems to help too :)

is that the spray disinfectant? (not their clipper oil) do you spray it on the clippers to act like an oil?
thanks

TheEngineer

Visit site
I know Clipper-sharps Oil has a bactericide in it and I have not come across many people whose horses have allergic reactions to Lister oil either. One other thing worth checking is that some horses may not be allergic to the oil, but if it is aerosol type, it may be the propellant. One reason I dont recommend aerosol oil.

paddy555

Visit site
I know Clipper-sharps Oil has a bactericide in it and I have not come across many people whose horses have allergic reactions to Lister oil either. One other thing worth checking is that some horses may not be allergic to the oil, but if it is aerosol type, it may be the propellant. One reason I dont recommend aerosol oil.

thanks for your reply. This has happened twice now. (I should have learnt after the first time) The Liveryman one comes as a liquid so it is not the propellant.

Is there anything I can use, even if it is just baby oil, that won't damage the blades? This is 1 horse and it is only a small clip (low trace type) More to the point what should I avoid for damage limitation?