Clipping foals with lice ... advice please!

Bedford Joy

Visit site
I would like to know peoples opinions on clipping foals please. The foals which are now 9 months have lice and the vet has suggested sedating and clipping them then treating with Deosect. I would prefer not to clip but I would be interested to hear what other people have to say on the subject. Thank you.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I've had youngstock with lice before and have only had to use standard louse powder on them, and that's been on winter coats. Each time I've done it when they've already been sedated for castration, and once was enough, hope that helps.

twiggy2

Visit site
I have never clipped anything for lice, we have a rescue at the yard at the mo who has been treated for lice-vets never mentioned clipping, the sedation (which is not needed if you take your time and get them used to clippers over a period of time before it is needed for work) and risk of sunburn (if the weather stays like this) is un needed in my opinion

Bedford Joy

Visit site
Thanks people, I will speak to my vet again as it sounds like its not going to be necessary. I will does with the deosect and see how that goes.

dianchi

Visit site
I clipped out my foal at 8 months due to lice infestation, poxy doves were rootng above her in stable and didn't stand chance :(

But I just tied her up next to mum with massive haynet and clipped her no probs. she hadn't started to moult and I tried a week of topical stuff first but given her thick coat it was a loosing battle and best call was to clip her.

Bryndu

Visit site
Hi...
I washed my two in Naf tee tree shampoo by using a bucket of warm water...squirting the shampoo in...and using a flanel to wash the all over ...they don't get soaking wet this way and dry quickly.....then smother in lice powder....or spray frontline (used on a sponge and wiped on) which works equally well...but you will also need to Frontline the stable they are in or the pesky things return.
Best of luck:)
Bryndu

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
just give them a good brush to get loose stuff off then apply coopers fly repellent along mane and back bone and tail repeat in a few days. or tri tec 14. get them in the sun lice only appear at this time of year. but worming as well is also good.

mynutmeg

Visit site
my sister's tb had lice when we got him at 11 months old with s very shaggy coat - he was bathed every day for several days with (I think) deosect on vet advice and that did the job. He was in anyway as newly on the yard so him getting wet wasn't an issue