Clipping for weight loss

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I know that exercise is the best way to get the weight off with horses but I really need to find something else to help.
Horses all live out together 24/7 on currently poor grazing but with ad-lib hay. They have both natural shelter and field shelters.
Rex, as on previous thread, seems to be ok and I'm not stressing about his weight now.
Little cob is fine.
Big cob is fat, ShitPig Shitland is fat.
Would any kind of clip help the latter two to lose weight..?? I'm building up the cob's work load but ShitPig just gets walked in hand but I really need them both to drop weight before spring (we are able to start our normal strip grazing again in spring which we have been unable to do this year hence them putting on the excess weight :( )

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Mine is in light work (5-6 times a week on average) and I give him an Irish clip. It keeps him cool enough to work but keeps coat on his back and bum to help give protection against the element as he lives out.

He is lightly rugged if particularly wet or cold (or combination of both) but he's not needed to be rugged thus far.

If you don't want to take so much off, then a bib clip of any description would help - you could make it quite high up their neck if you wanted too. Mine had a high bib clip last year when he was only ridden at weekends.

Lucky788

Visit site
Mine has an Irish clip and isn’t rugged lives out 24/7. Sometimes if it’s vile wind and rain he might get a lightweight rug on

Also if you can at all a track with fatties round the edge getting rationed hay and others in the middle ad lib?

Polos Mum

Visit site
my unbroken 4 y/o can't do masses of exercise (obviously) he has a low irish and I won't rug him. He's 10% over weight (recently weighed on weighbridge) and risks proper illness if he doesn't lose some over winter.
I am being properly cruel to be kind.
If it gets to Jan and he'd not lost loads I will clip more off x between Irish and blanked - and still not rug

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
If I am able to split them would mixing oat straw with their hay help?? They are currently having the required amount of Spillers Lean and Lite Balancer with a handful of Top Chop Zero.

scats

Visit site
I genuinely think good doers can’t have ad lib hay. You could try mixing with oat straw, but I’ve honestly found for my good doers, I have to weigh the hay out and stick to their rations. I’m aware that they do stand for a period of time with nothing, as they just kick any straw around, but it’s a necessary evil for mine.