Clipping - hints and tips?

LHIS

Visit site
Father Christmas brought me some clippers for Christmas!
I got them to take the hair from my boys legs, but I think he’d benefit from a bib clip too and gets sweaty quite easily.

I have never been taught to clip and have always paid someone else to do it - but the lady who does him for me struggles to get to us so I decided it was time I did it myself. I’ve watched her do it several times so have a general idea, but would love to hear some hints and tips please if anyone has any words of wisdom?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
assuming that having watched someone else you more or less know what you are doing, so here are some extra tips :)

don't wear a fleece!
The hair sticks to it like glue. waterproofs are ideal as it slides off ;)

The cleaner your horse the easier they are to clip and the longer your blades will last between sharpenings..

generally you should clip against the direction that the hair grows, but if you want to leave a little extra on around the legs or are blending clipped into non-clipped areas then you can clip with the direction of hair growth, takes a little practice but can give a neat effect.

if you clip the body and need to get lines the same height on each side, I find it helps if you pop a square saddlecloth on the horse to give you a guideline (make sure you get it on centrally)

if your clippers have an air vent, clean any loose hair from it frequently to keep them running well.

hot cloth the horse off after clipping to remove traces of clipper oil and loose hair

Leo Walker

Visit site
I wear a cheap shiny polyester track suit. Nothing sticks to it and I dont over heat as its not tons of layers. I've just clipped Bobbie today. I quite like clipping, I just hate the hair going everywhere. I wouldnt worry too much about lines. No one ever sees both sides of the horse at the same time!

Clip in the direction of the hair and let the clippers do the work. For legs clip against the direction of the hair. I find it easiest to start at her armpit and run the clippers down taking the thick of it off, then tidy up around her fetlocks and heels. You can usually blend the rest of the legs in around the knee. Again clip with the direction of the hair and gently apply more pressure until the hair is blended. Its something you just need to practice though really.

And dont worry if you completely balls it up. Its hair. It will be grown back in a month!

honetpot

Visit site
Keep the blade head flat, imagine ironing, and keep the same pressure.
Keep well oiled and check if the head is getting hot on your arm or back of your hand.
I always do the neck first each side, then the head, and try and keep the clip evenly matched both sides as you do it so if something happens and you can not finish it looks reasonable.
Cobby feathered legs, pull the hair gently at right angles to the leg between two fingers like scissors a section at a time, and run the blades up the hair, when it falls back you should not get a line.
When feathering to blend, lift the cutting edge of the blade slightly,when you finish the line.
Baggy skin, pull it flat between two fingers or pull the skin taught with the flat of your hand.
I always have a cup of tea before I put everything away, you always miss a bit.
No how bad it looks, tram lines and everything, in a week or so it will look ok. Its a bit like dying hair don't do the date before a big date

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Remember that the difference between a good clip and a bad clip is a week (i.e. don't worry if it looks rubbish first time, it will soon grow out a bit).

I always bandage the tail and put the mane into bunches so I am less likely to cut them off accidentally.

Most important is to keep checking the blades (the flat part) against the back of your hand to make sure they are comfortable and not too hot. Hot blades have ruined many a horse's clipping confidence.

Have some hair control measures.I use a paper suit or garage overalls. Wipe the horse off with hot water/vinegar asap. Strip yourself as soon as you have done and have a shower.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I wear a cheap shiny polyester track suit. Nothing sticks to it and I dont over heat as its not tons of layers. I've just clipped Bobbie today. I quite like clipping, I just hate the hair going everywhere. I wouldnt worry too much about lines. No one ever sees both sides of the horse at the same time!

Clip in the direction of the hair and let the clippers do the work. For legs clip against the direction of the hair. I find it easiest to start at her armpit and run the clippers down taking the thick of it off, then tidy up around her fetlocks and heels. You can usually blend the rest of the legs in around the knee. Again clip with the direction of the hair and gently apply more pressure until the hair is blended. Its something you just need to practice though really.

And dont worry if you completely balls it up. Its hair. It will be grown back in a month!

That should read clip in the direction of the hair to start and for lower legs clip against the direction of the hair :rolleyes:

LHIS

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I fully expect my first few attempts to be a bit wobbly but as you say it will grow out! Now just to get the hairy beast clean! I’ll come back and post some photos of my efforts :D