Clipping in Summer

Brummyrat

Visit site
This is a question I never thought Id ask but here goes... what is everyones opinion? Ive always thought it was a complete no-no but my 20 year old Section D has got such a thick coat at the moment its like he's going through an early change! He gets schooled or jumped about six times a week, in the evenings when its cooler but he's dripping afterwards and I feel awful because he's struggling. A couple of people have said to whip it off but it goes against everything Ive been taught. My clippers are due back tomorrow and I dont know what to do, Im on holiday for a week in August and again in September but obviously I'll be riding up until then but I just want to know if anyone else has had to do this with a hairy native. Personally I think Im going to have to but I dont want to be talked about :)

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Don’t see the problem with clipping all year round. My cob is fully clipped (including mane and legs) all year round, his summer coat is thicker then most winter coats. He works quite hard so would just sweat too much if it didn’t all come off. Plus it looks smarter IMO. :p

Luci07

Visit site
People who show often clip in the summer and there are some cobs in our yard that were being clipped "late". Grays/coloureds seem to look fine on it but I clip carefully on a dark horse!

blond1

On a shooting star...reaching for the moon
Visit site
Before I bought my daughter's cob I was the same about clipping in the summer. Wouldn't clip after 1 January as thought it would ruin the summer coat and :eek: to anyone who clipped in the summer. After hairy cob arrived the poor boy melted through the first few months of the summer until I gave in and whipped his coat off. He's much happier and you wouldn't know he was clipped after 3 weeks as the hair just grows so fast.

He has pink skin though so has to wear sun cream and a decent fly rug to help keep the sun off when he is out. He does come into his stable from 11 to 4 to help. Can you post some pics after his clip?

juliette

Visit site
I clip my cob in the summer as he gets far too hot otherwise. He was not performing at all well at Pleasure Rides as he was sweaty and uncomfortable. First clip of the summer - problem solved. I'm clipping every 5 weeks or so, tend to use a fly sheet during the day for 2-3 weeks as protection both from flies and sun, then give him a couple of weeks respite from the fly sheet before clipping again. He is so much happier I can't believe I didn't do it last year...... was worried it would mess up his summer coat, but believe me after 7 weeks the clip has totally grown out.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, its made my mind up for me. I suppose I'll have to invest in a fly rug now and Im skint, he only goes out first thing until midday but I take it thats what you all do?

(typical that as Im typing this its persisting down with rain :) )