Clipping now..yes or no?!

Micky

Visit site
My horse has ppid (cushings) and although he was trace clipped a while back, his clip has grown back to join in with his coat, which is coming out still, but still seems thicker than others on the yard...ok the other two are a Welsh d and a tb, mines a cob X....umming and aahhing whether to fully clip out as its so blooming hot/close/humid, he's very lacking in enthusiasm! Naturally..I am too! It took so long for the old clip to grow out but maybe that's because in my ignorance I clipped with fine blades instead of medium (which have just been bought and changed over!).. Sooo who out there clips now with ppid horses and did it make a difference please? Ta....

ponies4ever

Visit site
A pony on my yard with cushings was clipped fully the other day and now is much happier/more lively. I think its best to clip if your horse is uncomfortable because rugs can go on if necessary but its never fun for horses to be sweaty just standing around

Twigben

Visit site
i clipped my boy a few weeks ago as his coat was so thick and he just wasn't loosing it and sweating so much! He is now much happier and his summer coat is coming through so you can't really tell he's been clipped now!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I clip my cushings horse all year round. haven't clipped since april and coat has grown back really thick, once I start riding her again(lame at the moment) I will clip but if the weather continues to be very warm I will clip even if not riding to make her comfortable.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Don't eventers clip their horses during the summer at a 3 day event. After dressage and before cross country. If your horse will be happier I can't see the problem.

BSL

Visit site
I have always clipped according to horses coat and work. Just remember the sun can be as bad as rain and cold.

vallin

Visit site
My horse is clipped all year round - she doesn't have cushings, she just gets hot easily so it more comfortable clipped.

Micky

Visit site
Thanks all..his coat isn't horrendously thick, just the white parts of him seem to be! But will see what the weather does over the next few days and give him a good bathing too, take it from there! Thanks again....

Deltaflyer

Visit site
i clipped my boy a few weeks ago as his coat was so thick and he just wasn't loosing it and sweating so much! He is now much happier and his summer coat is coming through so you can't really tell he's been clipped now!

Same here. when I clipped him I got ridiculous amounts of hair off. I did it end of April as I was doing a sponsored ride on 30th and the weather was quite warm back then, now his coat is looking quite nice as his summer coat is coming through.

Enfys

Visit site
I am clipping a cushings mare this weekend, she is retired and lives out but is so uncomfortable in our high 20's normal weather.

Procrastination

Visit site
My mare will be getting clipped in the next week. She doesn't have cushings she is just very hot all the time as she has quite a thick summer coat.

acorn92x

Visit site
Threads like this really annoy me. If by clipping the horse, the animal will be more comfortable then why would you not do it?

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Threads like this really annoy me. If by clipping the horse, the animal will be more comfortable then why would you not do it?

Because in the olden days it was considered wrong to clip a horse after a certain date because it would damage their summer coat. In some circles that view is still held and expressed.

Micky

Visit site
Don't read the thread if you know it's going to annoy you! My horse has a condition which hasn't required summer clipping previously and as I am unsure with his coat not being a true winter shed but looking ok, and the British summers being as unpredictable as they are, I thought I would ask others in a similar scenario...with a ppid horse, comfort is paramount but due to hormone imbalance/his disease, he feels the heat AND the cold more so than horse without Ppid....

Last edited:

KautoStar1

Visit site
do whatever you need to do to make your horse comfortable. If the weather changes you can always add a lightweight sheet if its wet or just a cotton stable rug in the field if it stays dry but chillier. That said, most horses could do with using up some of their fat stores to keep warm.
I clip my show hunter all the way through the year and he is much happier for it.

acorn92x

Visit site
Don't read the thread if you know it's going to annoy you! My horse has a condition which hasn't required summer clipping previously and as I am unsure with his coat not being a true winter shed but looking ok, and the British summers being as unpredictable as they are, I thought I would ask others in a similar scenario...

I'll read and comment on whatever thread I like thank you very much. Surely you could rug him if the weather turned? At least then the excess hair is gone and he still has some protection.

I'm aware that some people believe that clipping ruins a summer coat (I've never had this problem, my horse is clipped all year round and has a lovely coat) but I don't understand why people leave horses hot and sweaty for this reason when the hair could easily be clipped, leaving the animal far more comfortable. OP, that is not aimed at you, I am simply wondering aloud.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm in the 'clip to make them comfortable' camp, too, and have just clipped my Cushing's mare out again. These threads are useful, though, because summer clipping brings its own issues of potential for sunburn and increased vulnerability to insect attack, so it can be a balancing act to decide what to do for the best.

MissJessica

Visit site
You have to do what's right for your horse.
I clipped my native mid May and so pleased I did. Just remember a fly rug for a few days to avoid any sunburn as taken away their natural protection.