Clipping now??

juliehannah58

Visit site
Need your opinions please!

My new horse is a heavy ID type, she gets very sweaty even though she is easily fit enough for what she does. She has been moulting for ages now and her coat is getting quite thick, even after an hour hack last night she was very sweaty. After a sponsored ride on Sunday, even though she was still full of running after 12 miles even her head was frothing!
blush.gif
grin.gif

We have a XC this weekend (two classes, although fairly small, short courses) and I'm considering giving her a small clip to help her keep cool, thinking perhaps a chaser? She is not moulting very much now but I was always told never to clip when they are moulting...
confused.gif

What do you guys think about clipping this early?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I know someone who has quite a heavy horse and she has clipped him out already.

She is not too bothered about his coat though more that he is comfortable as he sweats so much even in the field that he gets soars.

I would say clip if she is getting too sweaty.

K9Wendy

Visit site
I'm clipping on Sunday, sweat dripping off her and it's still mild enough not to worry about her freezing to death! Means the rugs will come out but only lightweight until temps drop, but she is in at night.

sham

Visit site
Both mine are clipped. (Ones clipped all year anyway) and I clipped out the Sade monster the day after she came back into work. She was moulting like there was no tomorrow!

Beanyowner

Visit site
I will be clipping Benson soon...doesn't matter if you are going to clip all winter as you you never see their coat...only worry about it when they are moulting their winter coat and turning towards their summer coat,...then you may end up with an uneven coat if not careful...

good luck with your hunter trial!

Rambo

Visit site
I'm seriously considering clipping my two this weekend. They're both molting badly, and getting quite thick coats already. I'd rather they stayed dry than sweated up badly. I think the molting thing only applies if you're worried about showing
shocked.gif
A lot SJ'ers clip out all year round anyway...

BBs

Visit site
For the first time this summer I clipped Winston as he gets rather hot during the summer.

Looking at him last night he is turning a wooly bear - so will clip him with the fine clipper blades again this weekend - and start rugging him up more.

For sure it might seem early but its the best thing for a horse, being far more comfortable.

I know the show horses we used to clip end of August ready for HOYS - I clipped winston end of July and now its all grown out so although hes got his lovely rich concor colour back its not helping when hes sweating up
crazy.gif

Id clip your boy out - make him feel far more comfortable
smile.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I was already dusting my clippers off but now I will defo use them
smile.gif

Just out of interest, which clip would you recommend? She WILL be fully clipped out (except legs & face face) come winter time, so wondering whether to whip the whole lot off as she seems to sweat all over, saddle area is the worst
crazy.gif
It's not cold at all ATM and we have loads of rugs.....

So, what clip?!
smile.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Everything off You need to LOOK like a SJ'er too

[/ QUOTE ]
PMSL!!

Yeah I think I will whip it all off, it will grow back in a few weeks anyway. We do have loads of hunting and XC's lined up too, so I might as well do it now before it gets too long and wild!
grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
Yep Im with Rambo - take it off - take it ALL OFF

I left winstons legs on this summer - but will take the legs off and head off when I clip this weekend - might as well have it growning all at the same time lol

Im getting right into this SJing thing, never clipped my horses during the summer before - well only the show horses that were going to HOYS - haha poor winston is going through the mill - next he will be getting an ear cover and sheepskin numnah - Oh the shame lol

BBs

Visit site
Hi bandit

Thats interesting you say that re- keeping fur on - thats what i used to say - but winston suffered terrible with sore cracked heels and mud fever 2 seasons ago - so bad it took till June to clear up!

I took his fur off his legs last year and was able to treat any problems immediately and didnt have anything like the problems i had the season before.

I understand the fur would protect a little more - but i boot up for hunting and would rather see what im dealing with (cut wise) than only find out 3 days later when I have a problem due to not being able to see in the dark and the fur covering the wound up.

But I can see both sides to this.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Will be clipping Jessie & Ebony in a couple of weeks, Ebonys coat is thickening but not enough to yet warrant doing it, and Jessie was clipped completely about 6 weeks ago as her summer coat doesn't do her any favours, so thickenning, but not enough to make her sweat up excessively whilst working.

Just need to decide what designs to put on them for this winter, Any suggestions ? - probably go for hunter clips BTW