Clipping problem

Hungey

Visit site
I've had the vet out this week and she has recommended to clip his feathers off as he does have a bit of a mite problem. However he detests being clipped and unless he is sedated there is no other way to clip. It looks like it's going to be trusty old scissors but does anybody else have any suggestions? Thank you!

Orca

Visit site
My mare arrived with an extreme, chronic infestation. I left her feathered and used fipronil (frontline) spray, two weeks apart. I tried clove oil too (it reduced the infestation but didn't eliminate it, so probably worth using for maintenance). My vet did ask me whether I'd be prepared to de-feather and I agreed as a last resort only but fortunately, fipronil cleared them up completely. It might be worth trying, if clipping is going to be troublesome. Otherwise, maybe using a trimming comb would reduce the feather enough or alternatively, a set of hand powered clippers? A friend had some once, they had a scissor action like sheep shears but a clipper type head and I can't remember what they were called!

mastermax

Visit site
Our small pony is perfect in every way until you turn on the clippers! She then turns into Achmed the dead terrorist! Dormosedan was simply brilliant. Put under the tongue and wait and we managed to clip her out completely. Hope this helps.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Have to say sedation (vet or done sedan) made not the slightest difference to one horse I had who wouldn't let you clip her legs. If the horse is sore it will be even harder.

Are you treating with dectomax or something?

Maybe worth waiting to see if that works before you start trying to chop them off?

Hungey

Visit site
Thank you for all the suggestions. Unfortunately sedation gels are just out of the question as he is an older guy so I don't want to put him through the stress of that and clipping and a twitch is definitely not going to happen! Yes he is getting treated for mites and it is working but because he's a hardy little pony he has a lot of feathers which is why the vet suggested chopping them off.

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
We have had shaggy ponies. I would recommend that you chop them off with the scissors, I generally just grab handfuls and chop them. It does not look very glam but it gets rid of a lot of hair quickly. Then you can do what is left neatly the old fashioned way with scissors and a comb like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPCsrWqeko I sometimes do the front legs one day and the back legs the next day as it stops the pony getting bored and the groom from getting back ache!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Did the vet not mention Dectomax injections? Worked brilliantly on my feathered cob.

I've taken off the majority of his feathers with sharp scissors, but you'll probably need more than one pair.