Clipping - saddle patch help needed!!!

michelledud

Visit site
Clipping friend's pony tomorrow. Although she's had saddle fitter out etc she has mentioned that occasionally the saddle slips forward just an inch or two. Not a major issue as has only happened a few times and pony now wears a non-slip pad under the saddle.
I'm wondering if I should suggest leaving a saddle patch or not? Will the non-slip pad work better if the saddle area is clipped or will clipping it cause slipping problems in your experience?
The pony doesn't have a thick coat so clipping her shouldn't affect the basic fit of the saddle.
Opinions please clever people 😀
Thanks

3OldPonies

Visit site
I wouldn't think it would make much difference either - might help to get a new saddle though - there's obviously something wrong somewhere if it's slipping by 'an inch or two'. A non-slip pad will only be hiding the problem and your friend could be storing up a whole lot of trouble for later on if the saddle is moving that much.

michelledud

Visit site
Thanks for your comments. The fit of the saddle isn't my issue to sort, I understand it only happened a couple of times so she bought the pad, and it's not my pony. I just don't want to risk making it worse by clipping his saddle area if the general clipping opinion is that this makes saddles slip more. I was hoping to hear from people who do lots of clipping and have come across this issue before who might be able to advise?
He has got a particularly beautifully soft shiny coat so I'm now thinking it might actually help for his saddle area to be clipped?
Thanks x