clipping - sedation - how long before leaves system?

4whitesocks

Visit site
Just got a call that Neddy is seriously objecting to being clipped - I'm on full livery and asked YO to do him today so he would be a little less sticky for Sunday's HT, normally I would have wanted to be there myself but life and work got in the way this week and it just hasn't been possible - and he really needs to be clipped.

I hadn't clipped him myself before but when I got him he was clipped and as he's so relaxed about everything else we assumed he'd be fine.....famous last words.

Apparently he's not fine at all and as she has the vet coming this afternoon anyway wants to know if I would be ok with him being sedated for it....I actually don't have a fundamental problem with it - I'd rather have him sedated than have him turn it into a row so YO has to resort to using a twitch or whatever - so my question is - if vet does sedate him how long should the effects last - will he be ok to hack out tomorrow (xcountry schooling) and will he be ok for Sunday? (it's just a schooling expedition on Sunday - we'll pootle round baby fences and if we feel brave might jump a few bigger ones.....)

Any info welcome - thanks!

miller

Visit site
Should be fine tomorrow - are they giving him IM or IV sedation?

Either way he shouldn't be fed until it is worn off this evening but will be ok to ride tomorrow and compete sunday

4whitesocks

Visit site
great - thanks for letting me know! have never had to sedate before - and shouldn't have assumed he was ok to clip but lesson learnt - lots of clippers exposure from now on!

Clodagh

Visit site
I would try a twitch before sedation, but thats just a personal preference.
Hope hes all done now and looking fantastic!!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Oh they did - I had already told her I had no objection to him being twitched.....she called me when they had no joy with that...didn't want anyone or him to hurt themselves!