Clipping tips

Visit site
Is the horse ticklish? If so then your screwed. If not then pull, stretch tighten skin with one hand and clip with the other.

H&S would have a field day with me! I have been known to lift a front leg, hook the knee over my thigh with my leg outstretched too which then leaves me one hand to pull skin about and the other to clip with ...

And as has been said many times before - the difference between a good clip and a bad clip is 10 days.

tatty_v

Visit site
My horse is really ticklish in places. I just leave him with hairy armpits and nether regions - no point insisting if he’s going to kick me in the head!

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Hi,
Thanks all, milliepops it's actually getting the hair of the areas rather than the lines.
I don't know about any of them being ticklish as my first season with them.
There hunt horses so need them looking smart - mine own I'd leave with a slightly hairy arm pit if needs be. ??‍♀️

Starzaan

Visit site
Biggest tip is ALWAYS bath them the day before you clip, then spray them lightly all over with coat shine. Sooo much easier to clip and nicer for the horses too.
As above, if you’re struggling then get someone to hold the foreleg up while you do armpits.

Mrs B

Visit site
I have been known to lift a front leg, hook the knee over my thigh with my leg outstretched too which then leaves me one hand to pull skin about and the other to clip with ...

That's what I've always done ... :rolleyes:

I could never think of another way to stretch the skin there, especially with older horses when they get a bit more wrinkly ...

SOS

Visit site
If they are ticklish round the flank area always put yourself right against them. The safest place to not be kicked is either against his back leg or 4 metres away... only one allowed you to clip! Horses I don’t know I glue myself to their hind leg and work confidently on the ticklish flank/between the back legs area.

To get a good clip have a clean coat, use even pressure and cross over your lines by about 1/3 to 1/2 each time. I find with a clean coat I just don’t get tram lines! If you do they are easily removed by moving the clippers diagonally over the lines... all sounds a bit wild but works.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you don't have a helper (and the horse is amenable) I can get mine to put their front feet on an upside down heavy bucket (or my plastic mounting block) to get the same outstretched effect with just me. It can take a few goes to get them use to the idea of their feet up but it's a similar position to shoeing so they usually get it.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
If I didn’t have anyone to stretch my horse doesn’t mind putting his leg on a hay/straw bale. Make sure the string or twine is tight though on the bale so he doesn’t catch his shoe on it