Clipping toenails

Carlosmum

Visit site
The lurcher is in dire need of a toenail trim. Unfortunately she hates it and everyone involved ends up stressed, scratched and bloody. Ideally I would like to give her something to zone her out for a little while so we can get the job done quickly and quietly. Can we get something effective 'over the counter' or should we be approaching the vet. Don't really want the hassle of taking her to the surgery as more stress involved.

Recommendations/ and advice gratefully received from me and Sasha

rara007

Visit site
When was she last at the vet? They may be able to prescribe from talking over the phone if she's been recently checked.

npage123

Visit site
Just another thought, which was recommended to me by my vet - instead of making a huge event of it and doing all the nails in one go, just do one toe at a time.

ihatework

Visit site
Alternative is to try a pet dremmel, my little terrier wouldn’t let you clip nails but was perfectly happy to have them ground back!

GirlFriday

Visit site
Once they're an OK length they should maintain themselves if you include a few hard surfaces (paved areas etc) in your walks. IME older/unfit dogs or those getting insufficient exercise, or exercise on muddy ground, need it. My vet refused to trim mine when I got him (black nails and rehomed dog I was taking in for a once-over anyway) saying the hard surfaces would do it. No trim at all and just walking - a year in and we're fine :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
GF normally I agree and I never have had to clip a dog's nails in my life because of the way I keep and exercise them, but some dogs have foot conformation that means even road work or keeping them kenneled doesn't work.
Usually sighthounds and JRs ;)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
GF normally I agree and I never have had to clip a dog's nails in my life because of the way I keep and exercise them, but some dogs have foot conformation that means even road work or keeping them kenneled doesn't work.
Usually sighthounds and JRs ;)

and smooth collies! luckily he loves having his nails done and their nearly all white so its easy.

ihatework

Visit site
Once they're an OK length they should maintain themselves if you include a few hard surfaces (paved areas etc) in your walks. IME older/unfit dogs or those getting insufficient exercise, or exercise on muddy ground, need it. My vet refused to trim mine when I got him (black nails and rehomed dog I was taking in for a once-over anyway) saying the hard surfaces would do it. No trim at all and just walking - a year in and we're fine :)

It didn’t with my Terrier who was on exactly the same exercise regime as my nearly 12yo lab (who has never on his entire life needed his nails trimmed). Hers grew up and horizontal and never touched the ground.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Fair enough for there to be exceptions, wasn't intended as a criticism of OP. Just a thought if the dog is currently getting lovely grass-based walks to include some boring pavements too.

horsemadelsie

Visit site
Alternative is to try a pet dremmel, my little terrier wouldn’t let you clip nails but was perfectly happy to have them ground back!

My jack russell is the same! You would think it would be easy to hold a dog weighing just under 8kg, but apparently it's too much for two fully grown adult humans :p After a weeks training with the file, I can do them on my own without the hassle!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Both of mine need their nails trimming every couple of weeks. They did even when they were doing 50 to 60 miles fell walking a week. Their nails dont touch the floor properly as they walk so they dont wear down.