Clipping wet

meandmyself

Visit site
Does anyone clip their horses wet? It's suposed to reduce the lines, stop the hair blowing all over and keeps the clipper blades cool.

Just wondering if anyone does this?

SilverSkye

Visit site
Clipped legs wet once ( only as had turned out and she got really muddy and had to wash them!!) Found the clippers really caught on the hair and that it was really really difficult to clip, never tried all over maybe as the hair on the body is finner it may be easier??

meandmyself

Visit site
I don't think it blunts the blades more; there's less resistance so I'd think that they'd stay sharp longer.

I do think that they have to be really wet, not damp because damp hair is awful to cut!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea is to clip when damp not wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still think it would though, Jen was turned out in the school and where she had rolled her neck was damp to clip, the clippers seemed to struggle through it.

meandmyself

Visit site
I honestly don't know- the person who told me said her blades stayed sharper for longer. Could depend on the clippers/blades though.

RachelB

Visit site
I clipped mine while a bit damp today, and the clippers hated it - they whined every time I had a damp patch. That was only on the already clipped bits, I clipped a bit today that I didn't do last time (so long damp coat) and the clippers really struggled. On the dry clean bits however, the blades just flew through it! Although I suppose hairdressers mostly cut our hair wet... although I've never contemplated the reason for that?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I don't clip wet, the blades struggle to get through the coat & it also puts more load on the motor & the clippers heat up quicker.......basically not a good idea to wet clip.
frown.gif

Rhodey

Visit site
They wet hair to make it easier to cut not on the scissors but if you hair is dry then the hairs are different lengths. When wet the hair is at its longest. If that makes sense. Sorry completly off topic and pointless but hey!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They wet hair to make it easier to cut not on the scissors but if you hair is dry then the hairs are different lengths. When wet the hair is at its longest. If that makes sense. Sorry completly off topic and pointless but hey!

[/ QUOTE ]

But they don't wet your hair when using the trimmer to shave...ie..a blokes hair.

S_N

Visit site
Well apart from the risk of electrocution, the hairs DO get caught in the blades and it's uncomfortable for the horse! Having had to whack the hair off doped horses as quickly as poss. before they came round, I can tell you that clipper blades HATE wet hair! Just incase you aren't aware (I don't know you, so I have no idea if you are), very often doped/twitched horses sweat! When clipping a doped horse, always clip the areas that sweat the most first! So the neck, stifle, flanks...... etc. Obviously depends on the clip!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah well, having never had my head shaved...!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither
tongue.gif
smirk.gif
smile.gif
...its half way down my back.... but I've seen blokes hair done.

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well apart from the risk of electrocution, the hairs DO get caught in the blades and it's uncomfortable for the horse! Having had to whack the hair off doped horses as quickly as poss. before they came round, I can tell you that clipper blades HATE wet hair! Just incase you aren't aware (I don't know you, so I have no idea if you are), very often doped/twitched horses sweat! When clipping a doped horse, always clip the areas that sweat the most first! So the neck, stifle, flanks...... etc. Obviously depends on the clip!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, all good points CN.
smile.gif
I do think that she was talking about bathed, clean horses (and very wet at that) rather than sweaty ones though.

Also, you should be fine to clip wet so long as your clippers aren't cracked.

It was just something that a friend of mine mentioned today, and I thought I see what ya'll thought.

When she replies to my email I'll post her answer.
smile.gif

PoppyPony

Visit site
My instructor wouldn't clip my horsey's legs because they were wet after coming in from the field (bimbo me turned him out before clipping completely forgot she was due to turn up) and she said they would then pluck the hairs out rather than shave them off.

Chex

Visit site
I've had to clip Chex legs when they're wet before, but the blades jus catch and pull at the hair. It does clip, but wouldn't do it for a proper clip!

Stella

Visit site
I recognise that riding is a high risk sport, but I don't want to make clipping one too
shocked.gif
Water and electricity don't mix without the risk of death
shocked.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Chex I hope you're joking, not only were you risking killing yourself but also your horse.... You should never attempt to clip even a damp horse, and always use a circuit breaker and wear rubber boots...I remove or cover the water in the stable too after seeing a set of clippers fly through the air and land in the automatic water drinker..

Chex

Visit site
I don't think I was paying attention when I wrote that! Totally didn't mean that I clipped soaking legs, I meant when his legs are dry, but the mud-fevered bit is not damp, but not dry (can't describe it very well). Eeeeek, I would never clip a wet horse, sorry to worry you!

annaellie

Visit site
I agree the blades drag through the hair but I would never clip a wet horse no matter who suggested it to me. T he risk of frying my horse and myself is to high electric and water do not mix.