Clipping

SueAllen

Visit site
Got to clip my boy soon. Two recent lessons have had him very sweaty and even short hacks are bringing him out in a sweat. I wouldn't normally clip until October but the weather is so much hotter at the moment than it would normally be. We are going to be out hunting twice a week with lesson and hacks and comps in between so he does need to be comfy. Trainer has suggested taking it all off and letting it grow again and doing a lesser clip later in the year. I was thinking about leaving just legs on (for hunting). Anyone got any recommendations? Also, if I do just leave the legs on how do I get the tops right - the correct slope, if you see what I mean. Thanks

eekmon

Visit site
Good idea to hunter clip now, it will be back in about 3 weeks! 2 at our yard were full clipped right out 3 weeks ago and both now don't even look clipped! If you hunter clipping then you can leave a sadddle or oval on back and legs on for protection.I always pull front legs out to get a nice straight line, start at the 'elbow' and follow top of leg upwards! ( does that make sense?? )
smile.gif

beaconhorse

Visit site
I have fully clipped my own including legs last week. Did someone elses the other day and left legs in, it really isn't as hard as you think, follow the contours at the top of the leg but make sure horse stands VERY still. If they do move and you go lower than you intended then make sure both side match.