Clipping!

StephBiscuit

Visit site
My Clydesdale X had turned into a teddy bear, so needs clipping. At 23 we still hack out and do schooling, and take part in the monthly dressage competitions on our yard. She lives out in a field with lots of natural shelter ( trees). Should I get Hannah to give her a trace, or a chaser clip?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Where does she sweat the most? If it's her neck and shoulders then a low chaser with a tidied head/half head would be worth trying. You can always clip more off when she's re-clipped if she needs a higher chaser or trace. As long as you rug her to account for the clipped off fur, she should be absolutely fine with either clip.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Then it might be worth asking to have a bit more clipped off the neck. I'm sure that the clipper will be able to tailor the clip to what your horse needs. :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Best to leave the bum hair on a horse who lives out, so an Irish clip leaving a half head would do nicely. It’s a surprisingly flattering clip. I’d maybe clip the whole head but only if the horse was in at night.

View attachment 37792

That looks like what I would call a chaser clip, just with the whole head off. I sort of had this in mind (very similar). :)

jasmine-clipped.JPG

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Haha, yes, that’s the clip I’d envisaged, but I call it an Irish clip :D. It’s bloomin’ useful whatever it’s called.

According to a recent article in H&H mag, this is a chaser clip, which IMHO takes off too much hair for a horse living out without a field shelter.

2EAD5E42-5ABF-44A4-978C-0D007B1DD911.jpeg

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I make up my own clips! Half head, either whole neck off to stifle, or irish. Mine live out so I leave their hindquarters on. Just clipped them yesterday actually. My mare had half head and irish, son's pony had higher neck and belly. I always take her beard off as it makes her prettier. 😂

StephBiscuit

Visit site
Thanks for your advice, going to go for the chaser clip, plus getting rid of her feathers :)! She's a little aAngel to clip - just stands there munching away, or falling asleep!