Clipping ?

Shavings

Visit site
When do you all give your last clip of winter?

Chance is getting very hot and sweaty with in a 20min lunge (not hard either!)

I have him booked in to be clipped by friend on Saturday

but girl who stables next to me says you shouldn’t clip after January 1st at it ruins summer coat!

thoughts?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm re clipping this week.
Final clip will be end January as B will be just about right for growing summer coat a month after.

You'll be told by many you can clip all year round, that's fine if a grey or not showing. My preference is by last weekend in Jan :)

albeg

Visit site
Clip when they need it.
There is no magic date to clip by, if they are moulting you can find you take thw edge off the new coat coming through but they just grow a new one.

This, I'll continue to clip mine to keep him comfortable. If I need to keep clipping through the warmer weather, I'll just switch to a longer blade as he's grey so needs some sun protection.

HeyMich

Visit site
Mine had her last "winter clip" in April last year, then her first clip of this winter in September. She has a coat like a yak and hates being hot and sweaty. Her "summer" coat still came through beautifully, albeit for only 4 months!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'll be clipping mine out in February I think.they are both trace clipped now, welsh might get done sooner as her workload is increasing. TB will just be done to save me the pain of moulting. I usually do a tidy up clip around then anyway so it's no different really.

claret09

Visit site
very much depends on the individual horse. my boy is rugged up to the nines and already has summer coat on his face, shoulders, quarters and the top of his legs. he is in no way typical but he grows almost no winter coat and is never clipped.