Clivers/Cleavers, hawthorn hedge shoots, cow parsley, nettles - how much?

emfen1305

Visit site
At my old yard, my cob had access to all of the above in his field and on the lane leading back to the stable so he would always have little snack but it isn't the case in his field now but he goes mad for them when i pick them and we have plenty surrounding the yard so i was going to pick him a little bundle for him eat and spread it through his haynet to keep him entertained whilst he's in during the day - obviously I don't plan on filling the entire haynet with them but should I be having smaller quantities of some over another or anything I need to know about them - ie are they yummy for a reason like too much sugar?

Also, does anyone pick nettles to dry them and feed? I picked a dry one today accidentally in my bunch and he liked that as well and I know you can buy them dried in packs so wondered if I should do that too!

holeymoley

Visit site
Probably a hopeless reply but mine loves Gorse. He wears a muzzle so can’t get to it in the field so I cut him some and feed him 1 stem as a treat. I’d be interested to hear how much they should or shouldn’t have too

tda

Visit site
I just chopped down a couple of clumps of nettles, once wilted the ponies love them.
They also love cleavers, I'm sure a few good handfuls would be fine

emfen1305

Visit site
Probably a hopeless reply but mine loves Gorse. He wears a muzzle so can’t get to it in the field so I cut him some and feed him 1 stem as a treat. I’d be interested to hear how much they should or shouldn’t have too

I don't think i've ever seen gorse before, i am going to go looking for some!

holeymoley

Visit site
I don't think i've ever seen gorse before, i am going to go looking for some!

We have loads of it up here. Very spikey, you need thick gloves on to cut it. On googling it, apparently it’s high in protein and can be used as a chaff...

meleeka

Visit site
Mine think they are giraffes currently and are often found stretching to get the best hawthorn shoots. My cob also eats loads of nettles, which are very good for them. He doesn’t even wait for them to dry out or even be cut, although obviously prefers them already on the ground. I think a couple of handfuls of each a day won’t hurt. Horses are actually very good at selecting what’s good for them if they aren’t hungry.

Carrottom

Visit site
A word of caution on giving gorse to horses. I used to tie bunches outside my mare's stable after a knowledgeable acquaintance suggested it was good for them. She had peritonitis and the vet said it could have been caused by eating something spiked. We will never know, but I wouldn't do it again.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a large area in my field full of nettle I just cut them down with a hedge cutter and leave them, when they have dried enough they eat the lot.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I feed my horse dried Cleavers as a supplement as it's supposed to be good for their lymphatic system (and I have noticed a difference since I started feeding). He has 5 x 50ml scoops a day, so you should be able to feed a fair amount of these. He is 730kg though so that's the top dose recommended.

ticobay831

Visit site
my boys loving his time foraging in the hedgerows, cow parsley cleavers Hawthorne shoots and blackberry leaves, he cant get enough. He dosnt have access to hedges in his paddock as he always manages to injure himself and has already nearly lost his eye on a hawthorne thorn. I think its nice to let them have a free range forage regularly, they know what they need, I feel we restrict them from their own natural diet by putting them in paddocks, so why not. x

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Just a word of caution, as I never knew, wear gloves to pick cleavers!

For some people it can cause contact dermatitis and it comes up as a nasty, itchy rash! I don’t think it’s that common but it is known (when you google it lol).

I cleared the garden and boy did I regret it, these pictures don’t really show the extent:
F0E647D5-111F-460D-A705-716B4EA7FECE.jpeg
3605856F-3D12-40A0-9F9C-A18BDD345989.jpeg

PurBee

Visit site
We have loads of it up here. Very spikey, you need thick gloves on to cut it. On googling it, apparently it’s high in protein and can be used as a chaff...

mine too - they delicately pluck off the flowers of it in the spring with their lips!

gorse used to be fed to cattle as a winter feed in the old days.

Mine nibble on the young growing shoots of it, not the mature needles....and they love to eat the bark and stems.