Clocks going back....

turnbuckle

Visit site
what do people do about horsey suppertime (AKA evening stables :) )?

Let them wait an extra hour - new 5 being the old 6 - or change the time gradually over a few days?

PS Have just bought a new headtorch, can't wait to roadtest it. Milspec and only £12.95!

lhotse

Visit site
I will be getting up at usual time as per sunrise tomorrow, horses don't know about the extra hour in bed, then I will go up at 5 new time. They will have plenty of hay in the afternoon so won't be worried. They come in at lunchtime now as my mare has decided that winter is here and won't stay out any longer!!

MissTyc

Visit site
My routine varies by an hour here or there all year round ... so my horses don't have much expectation of precision lol.

The dog, on the other hand, keeps a keen eye on the clocks and disagrees with any change.

soulfull

Visit site
Horses on my yard don't get a strict routine so won't even notice.
Everything varies by an hour or two anyway
I on the other hand will feel it. Not only am I working tomorrow but have an extra horse to do before work :(

SpottyMare

Visit site
My routine varies by an hour here or there all year round ... so my horses don't have much expectation of precision lol.

The dog, on the other hand, keeps a keen eye on the clocks and disagrees with any change.

Ditto. Just substitute 'cats' for 'dog'... They get furious :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Horses are out 24 / 7, so matter to them, cats respond to my alarm clock rather than time of day. If I'm not serving breakfast within 5 minutes of it going off, I get the Simon's Cat Treatment!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Really, you lot need to introduce some sort of order!

Mine expects service on time, every time. No, not THAT sort of service, he's a gelding.

Despite being out 24/7 I get a very long face if I'm more than five minutes late. Of course in return I expect him to be at the gate, standing square, head nodding respectfully up and down......he gets a warning order whistled as I come off the yard and nothing less than total obedience will do.

Now, if only I could translate that into total obedience when I'm sitting on him.......

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Really, you lot need to introduce some sort of order!

Mine expects service on time, every time. No, not THAT sort of service, he's a gelding.

Despite being out 24/7 I get a very long face if I'm more than five minutes late. Of course in return I expect him to be at the gate, standing square, head nodding respectfully up and down......he gets a warning order whistled as I come off the yard and nothing less than total obedience will do.

Now, if only I could translate that into total obedience when I'm sitting on him.......

Hehehehehehehe!

Hexx

Visit site
I think the horses on our yard go by the routine. The yard just adapts to the new time, and they still get fed at 4.30pm. They know the routine - all in around 3.30-4pm, rugs on, water topped up, tack cleaning and then the feedbuckets come out, so they seem to be bang on time yelling for service at 4.30!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
This is actually one of the reasons I think a less structured regime is better. They don't stress if we don't arrive BANG ON time, in fact they just graze on and fart about as normal. I understand on a private yard this is not possible, but ours are on their owner's own land, so we do what we want, when we want, bobbos are always glad to see us.

Visit site
I hate the "starving" faces hanging over the gate when I go up. Makes me feel terribly guilty if I am a bit late. They do seem to have internal clocks.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Horses are out 24 / 7, so matter to them, cats respond to my alarm clock rather than time of day. If I'm not serving breakfast within 5 minutes of it going off, I get the Simon's Cat Treatment!

Haha brilliant, that made me laugh, my cats are exactly the same, once my alarm goes off they expect me up! Some days they expect me up before that!

My horse lives out 24/7 and feeding time varies for her anyway, but if I did feed at exactly the same time everyday and I wanted to enjoy the extra hour in bed then I would go up an hour later :)

Darkwater

Visit site
Mine will wait until the normal time in the evening because my work hours don't change but I do them an hour earlier in the morning and do what I can't do in the evening when it will be dark.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
what do people do about horsey suppertime (AKA evening stables :) )?

Let them wait an extra hour - new 5 being the old 6 - or change the time gradually over a few days?

PS Have just bought a new headtorch, can't wait to roadtest it. Milspec and only £12.95!

what supper?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Haha brilliant, that made me laugh, my cats are exactly the same, once my alarm goes off they expect me up! Some days they expect me up before that!

My horse lives out 24/7 and feeding time varies for her anyway, but if I did feed at exactly the same time everyday and I wanted to enjoy the extra hour in bed then I would go up an hour later :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q