Clothing question - denim riding tights / trousers?

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm starting to think the forum needs a separate section for clothing and gear related questions! Apologies for posting yet another one but forum info is so useful, given that real life tack shops are increasingly hard to come by....

I had a sort through my trouser collection yesterday and I have about 20 pairs of jeans, all with large holes in! Clearly some new ones are in order but something I could also ride in would be even better. And IME riding trousers are reliably hardwearing. So, any suggestions for a pair of reasonably smart but hardwearing denim riding tights or trousers (ie don't have to finish above the ankles, so long as they are slim fit enough to tuck into socks to put chaps / long boots on top sometimes). Ideally it would be nice if they were smart enough to wear out walking the dog etc. Any info on sizing etc would be lovely, I'm a 12 (ish) with long legs, and Noble Outfitters Large tights fit me perfectly. Non-bank-breaking would be nice too....I don't want much do I!

Any recommendations gratefully received :)

Widgeon

Visit site
I was just wearing normal stretch jeans they were fine for riding in when I was riding everyday. Got fed up of buying jods.

I do ride in the Regatta denim leggings that I wear most of the time but they're not very hard wearing and the seams split, so riding in them knackers them even faster! With the thicker ones I find the seams tend to rub my thighs :-(

Melandmary

Visit site
I only own 1 pair of jodhs. I basically ride in regular skinny jeans from next, they wear pretty well and at 25quid are way cheaper than jodhs and breeches and mainly it saves me time having to change if I want to ride. The jeans take me from work to yard jobs then riding?

mini_b

Visit site
I like high waisted stretchy skinny jeans (not jeggings) from H&M.
They are cheaper than jods to replace when they die, think they are £15ish? I wear these most days and save breeches or riding tights for trips out and lessons.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm starting to think the forum needs a separate section for clothing and gear related questions! Apologies for posting yet another one but forum info is so useful, given that real life tack shops are increasingly hard to come by....

I had a sort through my trouser collection yesterday and I have about 20 pairs of jeans, all with large holes in! Clearly some new ones are in order but something I could also ride in would be even better. And IME riding trousers are reliably hardwearing. So, any suggestions for a pair of reasonably smart but hardwearing denim riding tights or trousers (ie don't have to finish above the ankles, so long as they are slim fit enough to tuck into socks to put chaps / long boots on top sometimes). Ideally it would be nice if they were smart enough to wear out walking the dog etc. Any info on sizing etc would be lovely, I'm a 12 (ish) with long legs, and Noble Outfitters Large tights fit me perfectly. Non-bank-breaking would be nice too....I don't want much do I!

Any recommendations gratefully received :)
Get some jeggings from M&S (or Primarché, whatever!). I live in mine. Riding, work, walking...

Widgeon

Visit site
They are cheaper than jods to replace when they die, think they are £15ish? .

Thanks, will take a look. Last time I ventured into H&M I couldn't fit into a pair of their size 18 skinny jeans (I'm normally a 12 everywhere else) so I gave up on their jumble sale style trouser sizing! It's next door to NEXT though so will add it to my shopping trip list

mini_b

Visit site
Thanks, will take a look. Last time I ventured into H&M I couldn't fit into a pair of their size 18 skinny jeans (I'm normally a 12 everywhere else) so I gave up on their jumble sale style trouser sizing! It's next door to NEXT though so will add it to my shopping trip list

ah never - yeah the sizes are a bit odd. This particular style is consistent in sizing I think it’s a line they have been running for years and just stuck with.

AFB

Visit site
M&S skinny jeans aren't bad at about £20 or so, they're my every day dog walking/yard when I'm not riding jeans. I've ridden occasionally in them and they're fine - but I do prefer a full seat so they haven't been tested much for durability that way.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
My go to for skinny jeans (if you don't mind the seam down the inside of your leg) are Primark £10 ones, which are very stretchy and comfortable. However, if you actually want denim breeches, I really rate my Mark Todd ones (no inner leg seams), and Eileen Douglas Tackshop have just brought out some denim riding tights in four colours that I have my eye on! Both the latter have a silicone full seat.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I had a couple of pairs of denim "riding trousers" a few years back now. They were by Harry Hall and were labelled "Atlanta".

I'd lost weight (yes it IS possible! dunno how I did it, but I did!) and they were way too big for me and I e-bayed them.

A huge shame they weren't the right size anymore as they were very handy indeed.

Haven't found anything quite the same since.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I do have a nice pair of Horseware denim breeches but I often just ride in primark jeans as I have a few old pairs I wear to do the horses, and if I can't be bothered to change into breeches they are fine and only £10.

Widgeon

Visit site
Just by way of an update - after a rather depressing shopping trip to our nearest town I ended up crossing my fingers and ordering some Western riding jeans from the Kramer sale - they arrived today and are very nice! True to size and (hooray) designed for someone with a bottom and thighs, but they don't gape around the waist. I'm very pleased and have actually ordered another pair this morning as the ones that arrived today are really far too nice to wear on a horse...they have sequins on the back pockets, my horse will probably try to eat them....

TPO

Visit site
The Kerritt denim breeches have a really good reputstion for fit, comfort and how hard-wearing they are if that's of any help for future purchases

Visit site

Widgeon

Visit site
The Kerritt denim breeches have a really good reputstion for fit, comfort and how hard-wearing they are if that's of any help for future purchases

Thanks very much, yes that's helpful - it's a bit more than I'm wanting to pay at the moment but I will remember these for some point in the future.

Widgeon

Visit site
Do you know which ones you went for? They sound like just what I've been looking for!

Yes...I think all the women's Western jeans that Kramer do are the Stonedeek brand. I bought two styles in two different sizes and the styles were essentially the same fit, so I just kept the pair that was my waist size. Based on that I'd be fairly confident to say that they're probably all worth a go. The ones I kept are Amy (waist 30, length 30) and the ones I sent back were Eliza (waist 29 - no 30s left in the sale - turns out that was way optimistic of me!). Both pairs the same fit though. I've ordered another pair now (Ella) as they seem to have had some more of my size come into the sale.