Clover an grazing

Ragbea

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of lots of clover in a field, did it cause the horses any problems, colic etc
Thanks

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Great for dairy cows and finishing lambs!

I'd avoid grazing horses or ponies with laminitis, overweight, Cushings if it dominates the grazing.

Can you get some sheep on it or strip graze to reduce intake?

planete

Visit site
There is white clover in my rented field. I strip graze and feed some hay all the year round, counting droppings every day and checking the pony's weight every week. No problems so far. I reduce the main area of grazing gradually as the grass starts growing until we end up with a track, leaving the middle to regrow for winter forage.

HeyMich

Visit site
It can be a problem for some mares. The clover contains a chemical that mimics oestrogens (phytoestrogen??) and can cause them to produce milk. I have to 'milk' my mare every May/June to relieve the pressure. The vet tells me not to worry, but it can't be pleasant for her!

Horseysheepy

Visit site
It can be a problem for some mares. The clover contains a chemical that mimics oestrogens (phytoestrogen??) and can cause them to produce milk. I have to 'milk' my mare every May/June to relieve the pressure. The vet tells me not to worry, but it can't be pleasant for her!
My friend had a scare with a young mare she'd not long owned which suddenly came into milk, turned out it was the clover, thankfully!

Ragbea

Visit site
Thanks all, my pony has been showing colic symptoms for a few days, an generally unwell, really bloated, could barely walk! we have put it down to the clover as started after moving fields (2 weeks after) been scoped etc vet says it can cause similar problems in cattle!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Reactions: HBB