Clumsy Horses????

libertylou

Visit site
Hi all,

Well in the last 10 days my mare has slipped in the mud in her field resulting in lameness in her fore left, bashed herself in the stable resulting in lameness in her hind right, and today appears to have bashed her eye resulting in swelling!!! She is so clumsy! Pole work is almost impossible cos she just goes through the pole rather than over them, she is constantly standing on her own feet and tripping herself up :eek:
Soooooo does anyone else have a clumsy pony?? And how do you manage? I am seriously considering bring out the cotton wool and wrapping her up! :eek: ;)

ETA- My O/H is a vet thank goodness or she would be costing me a fortune in Vets fees lol!

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
AS your OH is a vet, you have the answer to your problem. I call this the giraffe syndrome, whereby the brain appears to be much too far from the rest of the body, causing a lack of communication to essential limb co-ordination. Would it be possible for OH to operate on the neck and shorten sufficiently so the brain does not have to send signals as far. If so, and it works, could you let me know and I will be more than happy to market this procedure to the big wide world.

libertylou

Visit site
AS your OH is a vet, you have the answer to your problem. I call this the giraffe syndrome, whereby the brain appears to be much too far from the rest of the body, causing a lack of communication to essential limb co-ordination. Would it be possible for OH to operate on the neck and shorten sufficiently so the brain does not have to send signals as far. If so, and it works, could you let me know and I will be more than happy to market this procedure to the big wide world.

Lol- made me giggle!!! I will mention to O/H and let you know the response, on the chance that the answer is no- anymore suggestions?? ;) Although if it really worked- you could be a millionaire :p

Samantha008

Visit site
My horse has ver mild wobblers syndrome, so is just about as clumsy as they get!! Im not allowed to ride her shes so bad but yesterday saw her galloping like a loon around the field making some very balanced turns and acting like a 3 yr old. was lovely to watch :) I quite like clumsiness...adds character :p other than roll toe shoes i dont think there is that much you can do... other than giggle at their antics :)

GrumpyHero

Visit site
tilly is pretty clumsy, she trips up over her own feet a lot, probably because shes a blonde in disguise. i suppose the cobbles at the yard don't help her clumsyness though, if she's having a bad day i usually put her over reach boots on and they stop her tripping as much, but i usually just leave her to it she should learn to pick her feet up!

Allie5

Visit site
Yep! My youngster is still learning where his feet are so he trips over them a lot! Plus he is possibly the nosiest beast I've ever met. He's so busy gawping at things (we are on a working farm and he loooooves the cows!) that he trips, bangs his head on things, knocks into me when I'm leading him, squashes me against the wall turning to look at things! Im hoping he grows out of it before I need to get out the industrial bubble wrap!

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
My gelding is majorly stupid rather then clumsy! He is the only one that whilst turning will smack his nose on every bar as he goes round; he will left his head up to put it over the door but forget those final couple of inchs. He has managed to find a mach 3 razor sharpe something in stable to shave his head, I say this because I can't find where he has done it for love nor money.
He is dyspraxic? ;)

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
tilly is pretty clumsy, she trips up over her own feet a lot, probably because shes a blonde in disguise. i suppose the cobbles at the yard don't help her clumsyness though, if she's having a bad day i usually put her over reach boots on and they stop her tripping as much, but i usually just leave her to it she should learn to pick her feet up!

didn't realise being blonde made you clumsy? but then again maybe It's because I'm blonde myself....

libertylou

Visit site
Exactly!! Maybe it is my time to actually make money out of horses. Do talk nicely to your OH - pleeaase

Mentioned it to OH at dinner time and was met with stoney silence- noooo sense of humour lol :p ;) :rolleyes: Ah well- worth a try!

:D
Yep! My youngster is still learning where his feet are so he trips over them a lot! Plus he is possibly the nosiest beast I've ever met. He's so busy gawping at things (we are on a working farm and he loooooves the cows!) that he trips, bangs his head on things, knocks into me when I'm leading him, squashes me against the wall turning to look at things! Im hoping he grows out of it before I need to get out the industrial bubble wrap!

Libby is eight now lol!!! Although sooooo nosy :rolleyes: She is happy as long as there are things going on around her! She has been known to walk in to walls/trees/post boxes whilst hacking out cos she has been nosying in peoples gardens/windows/cars etc. Got to love them eh?!