Clumsy oaf goes hunting. A (long, rambling) report.

Kallibear

Visit site
And he was:D

He's a big gentle clumsy muppet at home and is always easy and laidback but today he found his calling in life.

It was his first time out and I had borrowed him from a (very trusting!) friend.

If anyone's hunted with the Lauderdale hunt before, it is seriously hill country. Not a single flat field in sight. None of this galloping over green fields hopping hedges, this is proper 4x4 ing, scrabbling up and down scraggy heatherland at a canter. I hunted once as a child down in devon and it was worlds apart. Scary stuff if you're a woose about going fast down hills (I.e me) and you've got a horse who's legs are usually only loosely attached to his brain.

He was a bit fidgetty and excited being tacked up but stood quietly whilst everyone gatheredd. We set of with an unusual spring in his step but fairly calm. Until a hairy moment when the quad roared past and spooked him, he lept sideways only to find a horse on the other side, having an even bigger paddy, and terrified he even more :eek: Bad words may have been said and arms wrapped round his plunging neck. At this point I was wondering if I'd made a mistake in taking him.

Thankfully he calmed quickly as soon as he was away from plunging horses and sauntered along near the back on a loose rein, me very relieved and regaining hope at surviving the day. We walked across the side of a hill for 10min, chatting to many very nice people.

The hounds picked up a scent very quickly and we spent a good 10min watching them being very enthusiastic but utterly useless at flushing the fox in a ravine 20ft below us. Then they started to run back the way we'd just come. Cue us going from the nice quiet back to the very front with everyone thundering past us :eek:

He managed to hold it together for a bit but when his neighbour leapt up the 4ft bank to the side and bolted across the hillside, Rebel decided that looked fun and followed suit:eek: Now I'd decided this definitely was a huge mistake and desperately wished I'd gone with my initial instinct to put a gag or pelham in.. Excited fresh horse is fine. 600kg of irish draught galloping blindly across the side of a hill with absolutely no intention of stopping is not fun. Thankfully he quickly sobered up and slowed down when he realised everyone else was going the other way!

The blast did him the world of good (but not my nerves or my arm sockets) and it was like a switch flicked in his head. Because he then mooched carefully down into the stream bed, ignored all the suicidal/out of control horses charging down past him then set off at a steady careful gallop back up the fields on the otherside.

After that he'd got the idea. He lolloped along keeping up but not trying to overtake. He slowed when everyone slowed and picked up when they did. He watched where he was going and was steady and sure footed.

Unfortunately I was rather less trusting and had to really work on just letting him get on with it. At no point did he give me reason to worry but I can't let go of my anxiety of moving at speed down poor terrain. It was the cause of a bit of pulling and discussion between us as I wanted him to trot carefully down steep bits and round bends and he thought I was just being a right pansy and needed to man up and stop interfering with his efforts to keep up!

As an idea of our terrain, at one point we trot/cantered down a 1:3 stone track, hair pin bend into a stubble, down a 6ft 45degree slope/drop in clay mud in trot/canter, across the stubbled dip (on a slope) with a bog in the middle, back up a similar 6ft drop/slope but with a tight bend through a broken gap in a stone wall, whilst trying to avoid the wither height trees and across the side of a 1:3 hill at a canter. Stand whilst the hounds worked in the woods then repeat in reverse at a rather faster speed. :eek: And you know what? He didn't slip, trip or stumble even once despite me having my heart in my mouth. But even still I couldn't let go of my fear that we'd fall if I didn't hold his head up :eek:

At various points I was equally glad he doesn't wear shoes (steady canter up the roads) and thinking he should maybe have shoes on ( cantering over crushed rubble). But he didn't take a single ouchy step and his feet weren't sore when we got home so I'm more than glad of the agility the lack of shoes gave him.

Towards the end (2hrs of pretty much nonstop moving) he was starring to tire, at which point he did start slipping and also getting strong. I think he was starting to worry that he might not be able to keep up now he was tiring. So we called it a day, said good night and walked the mile or so home to the lorry. On seeing the lorry I thought he'd be releived but instead he seemed disappointed. Washed off then drove home and seemed chipper when I unloaded but this evening when he came in he was so sleepy and knackered but doesn't look sore or stiff. I think he'll be a bit stiff in the morning though so a gentle inhand walk and some stretching is on order.

So, the gist of my long rambling report is : he's a star and we're going to try to go again next weekend.

Handsome clever horsey
557242_10153342891050437_312047536_n.jpg

Watching the hounds work below us. And a small indication of the land type.
526463_10153342899465437_315749816_n.jpg

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
He's extremely lush, and it sounds like the balance between terrifying and whee hee was the right side of the middle line, thankyou for posting a great vivid account of the day!

Altho I am slightly disturbed by the fact he is eating several legs of a horse in the first photo, perhaps all that nutrition gave him Wings!

Ps I think you are brave to have gone without the ABS brakes bit :-DDD

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
a065.gif

Sounds like a name change is in order, no more clumsy oaf, here comes Mr Handsome Surefooted!

It was a joy to read your report, and good luck next weekend. :D

P.S. I hope that you decide to not use a gag or pelham then either, since after that first error of judgement, when he followed a bolting neighbour up a bank, it sounds as if during the rest of the hunt, his decisions about what was the appropriate pace was correct. ("And you know what? He didn't slip, trip or stumble even once despite me having my heart in my mouth.") He got both of you home safe and sound, so personally, I'm thinking that you shouldn't add something that could interfere with his ability to do what is best a second time.

Kallibear

Visit site
1384182_10153345314245437_175849632_n.jpg

996919_10153345309265437_402129686_n.jpg

He's extremely lush, and it sounds like the balance between terrifying and whee hee was the right side of the middle line, thankyou for posting a great vivid account of the day!

Altho I am slightly disturbed by the fact he is eating several legs of a horse in the first photo, perhaps all that nutrition gave him Wings!

Ps I think you are brave to have gone without the ABS brakes bit :-DDD

Thanks. He's a very nice boy and a very good buy unseen from Ireland! I was worried that no ABS brakes were suicidal rather than just brave! That's monty's legs he's snacking on. We went with friends and were planning on sticking together but Rebel and I were having too much fun (and not quite enough control!) to wait for them.

a065.gif

Sounds like a name change is in order, no more clumsy oaf, here comes Mr Handsome Surefooted!

It was a joy to read your report, and good luck next weekend. :D

P.S. I hope that you decide to not use a gag or pelham then either, since after that first error of judgement, when he followed a bolting neighbour up a bank, it sounds as if during the rest of the hunt, his decisions about what was the appropriate pace was correct. ("And you know what? He didn't slip, trip or stumble even once despite me having my heart in my mouth.") He got both of you home safe and sound, so personally, I'm thinking that you shouldn't add something that could interfere with his ability to do what is best a second time.

fantastic and funny report

sounds like a fab but scary day, hope you have many more

He's def going in something stronger next time. He'll be allowed his head more but there's times he MUST listen and I didn't have the control needed when he got overly cocky.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I agree with you.

NB When I hunted Mr 17 hand Irish nutter it was in a Pelham even tho he was snaffle boy at home, but the gag rein was knotted and left on his neck. I only picked it up if and when needed but needed it rarely as he knew it was there, the rest of the time I could ride just on the snaffle rein and unlike with roundings, I wasn't using it without meaning to all the time, so that might be an option/middle way. Having said that if you felt you wanted roundings I think it wouldn't be a bad call either.

Nicnac

Visit site
He's lush and the splitting image of my boy - can't go wrong with a grey Irish horse! Great report and hope next week goes even better if that's possible :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Your season opens early. Cubbing goes on until late October in the Midlands.

So how many hounds did they take, given that you said they were flushuing out a fox?

Opening meet is in two weeks. I've no idea what the hounds weeks meant to be doing! There was probably 30 maybe less. They were bouncing around in the gorse below us, making lots of excited noise. We watched the fox sauntered off out the side of the bushes and over a wall and one of the hounds started off in the wrong direction, drawing the rest with her. Then the ride about-turned and everything else paled in significance to just holding on and not dying! I saw very little of the hounds for the rest of the morning. Apart from the one poor lost soul who was waiting forlornly at lorries when we got back and was very very pleased to see someone.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Opening meet is in two weeks. I've no idea what the hounds weeks meant to be doing! There was probably 30 maybe less. They were bouncing around in the gorse below us, making lots of excited noise. We watched the fox sauntered off out the side of the bushes and over a wall and one of the hounds started off in the wrong direction, drawing the rest with her. Then the ride about-turned and everything else paled in significance to just holding on and not dying! I saw very little of the hounds for the rest of the morning. Apart from the one poor lost soul who was waiting forlornly at lorries when we got back and was very very pleased to see someone.

Ah, you fooled me, thought you were hunting as you had black jacket on. Pleased you had lovely day. Take him once a week and he wll be a super hunter in due course.

Kallibear

Visit site
Ah, you fooled me, thought you were hunting as you had black jacket on. Pleased you had lovely day. Take him once a week and he wll be a super hunter in due course.

Navy actually, which is probably evem less correct :eek:. I have a very nice EXPENSIVE tweed show jacket and didn't want to wear it and my navy one's waterproof and washable. I spoke to the nice lady (secretary maybe?) about what to wear and she said they don't care as long as you're safe comfortable smart and not bright pink or purple. They'd much rather you came along to have a go than worry about dress code. Since he was such a star and we'll hopefully go again, I'm going to get a cheap tweed that's ok to get muddy.

chesnutty

Visit site
I got a new Shires Huntingdon Tweed off eBay for £60 (there is a listing that has them on sale), and its fabulous - wool so warm, and can just brush the mud off it. Highly recommend, especially as only used for a couple of months a year!

cavalo branco

Visit site
Hey, isn't that my horse you are riding??!! :eek:;) Can't do anything clever like putting up photos but Alfie is in my photo albums so take a look - he's a RID and I also took him autumn hunting recently (in a snaffle) He was a star!! Methinks he's been well hunted in his short life - he's now 6. We had a great afternoon.:D :D

marianne1981

Visit site
Oh I had thought it was banned in Scotland before England? I could've sworn I read it on my way to work on the front page of the Metro literally years ago!! I may be wrong.

Countryman

Visit site
Marianne - you're sort of right. Hunting was indeed banned in Scotland in 2002, 2 years before the Hunting Act of England & Wales, but the Scottish legislation was very different. While it banned 'traditional' hunting, it allowed for the flushing out of foxes, much like the English Hunting Act, but, crucially, an entire pack could be lawfully used to flush out a fox rather than that 2 hounds the English Act allowed.