C'mon make me jealous - where do you hack?

PolarSkye

Visit site
Just thinking about my hack tomorrow . . . I do love the Bramshill Forest where we hack . . . but I'd love to see some of the lovely places I know you all get to ride . . .

. . . I'll start . . . this is Bramshill:

Bramshill4.jpg

Bramshill3.jpg

Bramshill2.jpg

Bramshill1.jpg

This is the path between the fields we take from the yard/farm to the forest:

DX-32-3.jpg

DX-31-5.jpg

DX-01-9.jpg

So come on . . . let's see where you lovely people get out and about with your ponies/horses . . .

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
I am envious!! as a child and teenager we lived at a place called Mattingly, and we hacked out on Bramshill, lovely safe riding. I know live in Cumbria and although the riding is spectacular it is not safe. The fells are wild and the bogs are many. Oh how I miss Bramshill! You will have a lovely ride tomorrow.

But think of the scenery you must have! I do love Bramshill . . . it's been a big part of my life since we moved to the UK (11 years ago) so it's lovely to hack there . . . can we have some pics of your stunning scenery though?

P

P.S. I know Mattingley well . . . lived in Eversley (just up the road for 10 years . . . now we're in Sandhurst - not quite the same)

noblesteed

Visit site
I don't know how to put pics on, but I keep my horse 15 mins hack from a beach on the north yorkshire coast. It's so pretty and if we time it right we can have the beach to ourselves...
If we hack 20 mins the other way, up the hill, we are out onto the North York Moors - there is open moorland, forest, grassy tracks etc galore, for miles and miles... Then another way is a disused railway line with a cinder track, great for muddy weather.

I have turned into a happy hacker, but I can't resist it!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Just thinking about my hack tomorrow . . . I do love the Bramshill Forest where we hack . . . but I'd love to see some of the lovely places I know you all get to ride . . .

. . . I'll start . . . this is Bramshill:

Bramshill4.jpg

Bramshill3.jpg

Bramshill2.jpg

Bramshill1.jpg

This is the path between the fields we take from the yard/farm to the forest:

So come on . . . let's see where you lovely people get out and about with your ponies/horses . . .

P

My hacking in Woburn Woods in Bucks looks exactly like that, we even have sand tracks for a gallop :D

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
It's a bit blurry I'm afraid ;)
zangercam1.jpg

Although these aren't particaly large woods - you can ride the circular perimeter track in about 15/20 mins, we can get straight into them without having to go on a single road, and for that I am grateful.

There are a few lovely hacks not far away, but I now only tend to do those early on a Sunday morning, to avoid the traffic. We have a lot of very narrow, twisty lanes round here that are used by speeding idiots as a short cut to get to the motorway. I think one of the reasons they've got so dangerous over the past few years is because sat navs take people this way, as opposed to using the A roads.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
My hacking in Woburn Woods in Bucks looks exactly like that, we even have sand tracks for a gallop :D

small world - many years ago (probably about 20+ yrs ago) we used to box the horses up and go for a hack around the sand tracks at woburn. We also used to box them over to Milton Keynes, parking the lorry at the Pagoda, and ride around their tracks. I don't know if those exist anymore?

Burnttoast

Visit site
Some great pics here!

My latest author (I'm an editor) lives in Luxor and has five horses - she and her OH ride down by the Nile, in the Valley of the Queens, the desert plain below the Theban Mountains ... and it's hot. I'm seriously envious. She sent me some photos so I could drool - loved one of her OH and their black PRE stallion swimming in the Nile. If I did that in a river round here I wouldn't look cheerful for long!

Am quite lucky here nevertheless - the yard hacking's over an 800-acre farm, most of which is cut for hay, so at this time of year we can go absolutely anywhere. Lots of little hills, xc fences and bluebell woods to play in.

celia

Visit site
We have this to the front (taken from hay field as I don't actually have any out hacking):

Image039.jpg

And can go straight onto the moor at the rear:

Image057.jpg

Photos are terrible as they were taken on my ancient phone!

Better one, from a track back off the moor:

IMG_5293.jpg

I love the hacking around here. We can go for miles on the moor and have plenty of shorter circular routes along bridlepaths and quiet lanes. :)

Hope the pics aren't too large - I did try to re-size them but I don't think photobucket likes me... :eek:

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
Wow, some beautiful pics, I love hacking in the UK, so many gallop tracks :D!! We're in Tuscany, I haven't got time to post pics but here is a video I made for a lovely group of Irish ladies that visited us last summer if you want to take a peak

Luci07

Visit site
I am on the south downs on Ranmore - no pictures though I will do next time. It's really beautiful and my favourite ride is going up to Poleden Lacey (house).. Though have to say that the pictures of every where else look lovely!

JenTaz

Visit site
best place that we have to hack at the moment is the beach :) waiting on the bridges getting repaired along the old railway walk

tazbeach.jpg

soon to be moving to wales near the rheidol valleys :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Oooohhh ya lucky toad OP!

We have to do a lot of roadwork here; although if we were to move just a mile or two up the road we'd have access to a whole network of tracks - its just that here if we want to do those particular rides we have to allow a good long time like two and half to three hours for the full "circuit". So no good for a quick flip.

Having said that, we're not as bad as some places - we hack right next to a main dual carriageway, which sounds awful, and a lot of horses couldn't cope with it coz you're so close that if you had a lunging whip and held it out at arms length you'd probably clip the tanker drivers on their windscreens!!! LOL, but true. But there are some lovely rides around that area where you can have a nice blast, plus one advantage we've got is that even with the roadwork, all the rides can be done on a circular route, and most of them are about an hour! And lots of variations are possible, so it could be worse.

Me and my yard sharer sometimes box up and take the horses up to the local common (15 mins drive away) and have a good blast occasionally. So whilst things could be better, they could be worse. A lot of people think Devon is a super county for hacking and its all wide open spaces - well unfortunately its not, a lot of land is taken over by farming and/or rights of way have fallen into disrepair and no-one gives a hoot. I've tried getting people in this area to start kicking @rse about it, but you might as well save your breath IME. Everyone sits and waits for someone else to "do something about it".. (sorry didn't mean to rant!!).

Enjoy your lovely hacking OP.

JFTDWS

Visit site
urg. rhino I hate you and your hacking :mad: seriously jealous.

Given my proximity to london, I can't really complain about the hacking round here - pretty good bridleway network, some nice little woods to play in, and a network of private tracks. It's all very tame though - you can't get lost or get away from the roads. I don't mind roadwork, but it does make you feel somewhat closer to civilisation than being completely away from it all...

n278600097_535890_1251174.jpg

3-7.png

24002_512722211207_278600097_745229_6191500_n.jpg

PolarSkye

Visit site
We have this to the front (taken from hay field as I don't actually have any out hacking):

Image039.jpg

And can go straight onto the moor at the rear:

Image057.jpg

Photos are terrible as they were taken on my ancient phone!

Better one, from a track back off the moor:

IMG_5293.jpg

I love the hacking around here. We can go for miles on the moor and have plenty of shorter circular routes along bridlepaths and quiet lanes. :)

Hope the pics aren't too large - I did try to re-size them but I don't think photobucket likes me... :eek:

Absolutely stunning! Very jealous.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
best place that we have to hack at the moment is the beach :) waiting on the bridges getting repaired along the old railway walk

tazbeach.jpg

soon to be moving to wales near the rheidol valleys :)

See this is my dream . . . hacking on the beach . . . I suspect it blow Kal's tiny little brain at first, but wow . . . lovely picture.

P