Coat Changes Affecting Performance?

Elsbells

Visit site
My 13 yr old warmblood mare has always been sharp, forward and full of energy, not in a bad way, it's just her and I love it. But in the last couple of weeks she's become quieter and tbh a little lithargic out on hacks, whereas she was always up front she's now plodding along at the back. Now I know I should if following the rule book get bloods done but in herself she seems the same, in fact she seems happy and chilled!
Her coat is changing and she is asking to come in at night, I have a vague memory that she has done something similar as this in previous years although not as noticeable. Could it be that the change of season brings her down a gear or two? I know that she goes up a few in the spring. I'm thinking that maybe I should try her on Red Cell before I call a vet? What do you guys think and does anyone else's horse suffer the same?
I'm not worried as I feel its nothing major, it's just unusual.

wkiwi

Visit site
I've never had any horse become lethargic at change of coat, and i have ridden quite a lot of them. Mostly they have become if anything a bit sharper as the weather starts to cool down. This isn't to say it wouldn't happen, but I would be inclined to want to investigate a change such as you describe.
You say that you are not worried, but not sure then why you are asking or want to put her on red cell? The term 'plodding along at the back' doesn't really seem to go with happy and chilled, so perhaps the vet before self-treating would be a better option, but up to you. :)

Elsbells

Visit site
Thanks for replying wklwl.
I'm erring on having her bloods done asap as she's 13 and I always said I'd start getting them done every year as a precaution at 13/14 so I May as well start that process now. I guess I'm not worried but yes I am concerned. We've been together for a lot of years, she always looks after me so I'd better look after her.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My older mare (now 18) has always gone a bit flat at coat changing time. I've had her for 11 years and she's the same every time. I wouldn't worry unduly if your horse looks otherwise well. A few quiet weeks and hopefully she'll be back to her old self. But you know your horse.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
When you are concerned about your horse, you need to get vet intervention, bloods sound like a good idea, but as a precaution I would look at the diet and make sure she is getting minerals.

Bills

Visit site
My older mare (now 18) has always gone a bit flat at coat changing time. I've had her for 11 years and she's the same every time. I wouldn't worry unduly if your horse looks otherwise well. A few quiet weeks and hopefully she'll be back to her old self. But you know your horse.

Yes same here (but mine is a gelding) First few years I had bloods done as I, like you was worried but nothing ever came back and so I have never bothered since. He does the same thing every year around this time for a couple of weeks then goes back to his normal self!

But if you are worried getting the vet will give you peace of mind.