Coat thinners?

Nari

Visit site
Does anyone know of anything that can be used to thin out the coat of a horse that can't be clipped? He's on box rest & is sweating up on warm days. I daren't push the issue with clipping because the last thing I need is him throwing himself around & hurting himself, or me. I was wondering if there was something like a coat version of a tail rake. Anyone?

Nari

Visit site
No good Pixie, but thanks for the idea. I've also tried the Lincoln miracle groomer but that's no help. It's winter coat, not loose hair, & I suspect it wouldn't be a problem if he could go out & get some fresh air on him to cool down in the day.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I know it takes a while but you could cut it. With cattle we used to clip down the spine, as that was the most effective, not sure if the same applies to horses.
The mane keeps the neck rather warm so can be thinned and trimmed short., we use water on the neck to cool them after racing, and there are lots of blood vessels near the surface, so the neck is where I would concentrate. We used t have hand clippers for our poodle.
and Kster make these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-Ha...098639?hash=item2ca3a5944f:g:MSAAAOSwuTxWCTXy, they look rather coarse,
these modern ones look better, and just replace at this price
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Produ...425039?hash=item4aee1c7fcf:g:PK0AAOSwDNdVvxH4

Last edited:

Nari

Visit site
Thanks Bonkers2, they might be useful. I've already shortened his mane, & on warm days have been sponging him down :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
I used a Smart Rake very effectively on the old girl before we started having to clip (PPID). Someone on here recommended it, and it was fab. I still use it on the big lad's mane, which is what they're really intended for I think. Did wonders on a thick coat though.

Nari

Visit site
I looked at all the options mentioned & decided to go for the Smart Coats rake since it looked easy to use. I ordered it Thursday morning & it arrived today. I'm very very impressed! I had a go at the sweaty areas in the stable where the lighting isn't that great, I thought a fair amount of hair was coming out but it wasn't until he came out for a short leg stretch that I realised just how effective it was - I had another go to level out the moth eaten look that I'd created! The man I spoke to did say that it doesn't give as good a finish as clipping does, but I'd say he's presentable even if his coat doesn't look as shiny. More importantly a good session with it & he's no longer sweating just stood in his box & far from getting upset actually seems to enjoy it being used. So thanks for the suggestion Nudibranch :)