Cob final height?

Lydiamae

Visit site
I know a lot of people post this, I'm just curious and would like to know what your cobbies final heights were? I'm not fussed but thought it may be fun ☺️
Garrix is a 2.5yr old tricoloured gelding, currently just under 14.1hh and bum high. I have no idea of him history or parents. He came over from Ireland last year that's all I know.
This year I'm going to be doing inhand showing and ground work with him and next year for hacking and pleasure driving 👍🏼
Thanks in advance

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Mine was 14.1 when I got her and grew over an inch in the last few months of last year. She's 7 this year!

She was however 15.1 when I bought her from Ireland so I'm still waiting for the other 2.5" ;)

LHIS

Visit site
Mine was 14.1 when I got her and grew over an inch in the last few months of last year. She's 7 this year!

She was however 15.1 when I bought her from Ireland so I'm still waiting for the other 2.5" ;)

Ooh sorry to hijack but this gives me hope. My 5 year old (6 in summer) is 14hh currently but I'm hoping for an extra inch or so before he reaches maturity. He has filled out recently and grown into himself so an extra inch might be achievable!

rowan666

Visit site
I always thought the string test was fairly accurate but my filly was always very mature looking and level up untill a few months ago (she's 3 on 6th june) and using the string test when she turned 2 suggested she was already full height (12.2) but she is now bum high and 13.1, both her parents were 13hh (well dam definatly was and I was told sire was the same) My mum's old trotter x dales exceeded the height and build of both his parents (and he was home bred so no mistake in parentage) so I guess you just never truely know till they reach maturity, cobs like to be awkward! :D

sychnant

Visit site
Ooh sorry to hijack but this gives me hope. My 5 year old (6 in summer) is 14hh currently but I'm hoping for an extra inch or so before he reaches maturity. He has filled out recently and grown into himself so an extra inch might be achievable!

Sorry to say, mine didn't grow an inch upwards after 5, although he filled out a lot :)

Orca

Visit site
Mine (trad. cob) has grown an inch or two since arriving at the end of Nov '15. She's 7 this year. I doubt she'll make 15hh but she's further over 14hh than I expected her to reach :)

Kacey88

Visit site
My rising 2 year old cob filly is 14.2hh. String test says (and has since she was 2 weeks old) that she'll be 15.1 or 2. She has always looked very mature for her age so I'm hoping the string test is right and she won't end up getting too big for me! What are my chances she has only 4 inches left to go?!

crystalclear

Visit site
My rising 2 year old cob filly is 14.2hh. String test says (and has since she was 2 weeks old) that she'll be 15.1 or 2. She has always looked very mature for her age so I'm hoping the string test is right and she won't end up getting too big for me! What are my chances she has only 4 inches left to go?!

Kacey, yours is in the same situation as mine, age and height!!

Sparkles

Visit site
Mine was around 13.2 at 2. At rising 6 he is now 14.2hh and still just gone bum again having a growth spurt so perhaps 14.3hh by next year when we've finished upwards and outwards!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I've owned mine since a weaning and have seen both his sire and dam. He's a light weight cob, born June 2009, so just past the 6 and a half years when the skeleton is fully formed (I may be wording that wrong, sorry, have had a GA today and still woozy). He had laminitis last Spring and has only been light hacking through Autumn and winter, he has definitely grown this winter although I haven't had a stick on him again. He's taller when I throw my arm over him, but also a generally bigger horse all round. He was 153cm in the summer, which is what, 15hh or 15.1hh ish? Sire is 15.2hh,dam is 13.3hh, so I think I've been lucky he's got to the size he has.

crystalclear

Visit site
Mines grown from 6 months to a year and a bit but has also slowed down. She's not really grown much recently but she's still bum high. Her strung test is approx 15.1 too

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Medium/heavy weight cob, 14.2hh when I got him at 5, 15.1hh final height. Have hope, cobs take ages to stop growing!

This is reassuring! Mine will be 5 in May and currently about 14.2h. Mum and dad are both 15h. However at the moment mine is going outwards not upwards. He will need a new saddle by the summer as he has really filled out across his shoulders. I'm hoping he then remembers to go upwards!! The rest of the family did not stop growing until they were 6 or 7.

Kacey88

Visit site
Mines grown from 6 months to a year and a bit but has also slowed down. She's not really grown much recently but she's still bum high. Her strung test is approx 15.1 too

Mine is also bum high. I've been told that fillies can stop growing much earlier than geldings. Much like humans I suppose. My farrier is convinced she's she doesn't have much growing left to do because she's built like a much more mature horse.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Growth spurts mainly happen April- July- thats all horses ,not just cobs, so dont worry about them not shifting over winter!
I have found the show cob types carry on growing for years - a 5 yr old at 15 1 ish grew to 15.3 . Next one aged 3 grew from 15.1 to 15 3 in the next 2 years.
Bought a yearling coloured trad x Welsh Dat 13.2 ish - he grew to a nice 15hh. Just over a year ago bought a similar bred foal , she is around 14hh now as a rising 2 yr old - and I expect she will make 15hh also.
I once bought a 4 yr old bum high 14.2 trad type - she never grew at all!

Charmel

Visit site
my section d was 14 hands as a 3 year old but 15.1 when finished. I have two section D mares now one 4 and other full sister 3 and they are 14.3 and 15 hands hope for another few inches...

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine was 13.3hh at 2.5yrs and a very nearly 6yr old is a whopping 14.1hh and still bum high. Hes always been bum high and I honestly think he always will be.

Pic of him at the weekend:

12729247_10153518964688667_7339405936512696474_n.jpg

Pic of him 2yrs ago as a just 4yr old:

1526085_10151942916918667_2139274069_n.jpg

Pic of him at not quite 3yr old:

861611_10151342795253667_471568814_n.jpg

He has filled out loads, and got deeper and broader, but his overall basic shape is still the same. I'm hoping he comes up a little bit in front with lots of proper work, but I'm not banking on it. Some of them just dont level up

Lydiamae

Visit site
Look how smart yours looks above 👍🏼 I'm hoping for 14.3 and to fill out a lot. That would be perfect! Is string test from centre of coronet band to middle of knee?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Thank you, hes a bit of a wally, but hes my wally! :lol: Yes, or the other one is point of elbow to the ergot, then swivel it round until its point of elbow to withers