Cob turned nutter!

pottamus

Visit site
Crikey...just got back from one hell of a hairy ride! I had it all planned as I have a Trec event with our local club in 3 weeks and wanted to practice bending poles, control of paces and a jump (we don't do jumping).
I can only assume that having moved his fence on Monday so he has more grass...has turned him into the nutcase he was this morning!
blush.gif

We walked down the bending poles first and then trotted through them and that was fab (not done them before) but then the head tossing started and he got a bit silly. So I ignored it and did a bit of trot and then asked him for a short length of canter (control of paces bit)...well we went into buck and plunge mode in between a bit of canter
blush.gif
not pleasant! So we did the return leg in walk but it was more of a prance jog! Then I took him over the tiny pole jump and he was fine.
So achieved what I wanted and went on to do my hack...more of a jog prance and spook competition all the way round
crazy.gif
and when I asked for canter on the bridleway we put in a massive buck and surged forward!
blush.gif
This sent me up his neck but by some miracle I stayed on and re gained some control!!!
Bit of a pointless post but my god...where was my usually lazy...only do the minimum effort Welsh Cob this morning??? So we will try again tomorrow...must be the grass I guess and the coldness!

the watcher

Visit site
Don't know about the grass, shouldn't think there is much in it now, but I think the change in the weather is the key..my two have suddenly adopted the naughtly behaviour that accompanies being quite hungry in winter (and yes, before anybody says anything, they are being fed and are now coming in at night)

ladylisa

Visit site
I had a cob a few years ago, that didn't know he was a cob!!! when we hacked out people would always comment on his behaviour...... being that all four feet would leave the ground if he had to stand and wait for anything and he would growl if he didnt get his own way, he'd try cantering on the road when asked to trot and don't even get me started on jumping in the school! so these cobs can be total nutters but then the next day can be a plod! so try again tomorrow and good luck!

terrierliz

Visit site
is it something in the air?!! I have 4 year old Welsh D who normally is totally unphased by anything yet on Sunday we went down the middle of the road prancing and snorting and with tail stuck up in the air!!
tongue.gif

Where abouts are you, Trec comp near me in a couple of weeks

tarbra

www.lulu.com
He is obviously just having a frisky day, a slight chill in the air first thing often does this. Love cobs they can be really funny at times
ooo.gif
Watcher get a bigger car then you can use it at home too.

terrierliz

Visit site
Mines normally an angel however put OH, who can't ride, on him the other week and he disappeared up the road at a canter, didn't know whether to laugh or cry!! But put disabled niece on him and led her around the school a couple of times and he was a star!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Maybe he liked jumping? haha. I love how people think that just cos they are chunky they cant be 'flightly'. My boy went through a phase of doing the all 4 feet of the ground, and baby rears and he will do massive long sighs when he gets bored......................and he can shift like a rocket when given the chance.

pottamus

Visit site
Don't get me wrong Beau2005...I know he is perfectly capable of such behaviour...he has shown me that on numerous occasions!!!
smile.gif
But it was a very sudden change from his normal! I don't underestimate any chunky at all...especially not mine...we had many a rodeo sessions when I first got him that had people gawp in amazement that I stayed on!!! Bless him could not be without...but took me by surprise today!!!
laugh.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
Because of the warm Autumn weather, sunshine and rain the grass is full of nutrition at the moment so their energy nutrition intake is far more than usual and greather than several full scoops of racehorse cubes!

filly190

Visit site
I would be tempted to give him a right good gallop, how often do we let our horses have a good old blow out.

Get rid of the cobwebs and hang tight.

pottamus

Visit site
filly190 I am inclined to agree because he felt like he needed it this morning and if I had access to a field I would have been straight in there!!! But alas...no where for this to happen round here...no bridleways hackable to, no field I could use either. If I did not have to work I would have boxed him somewhere, although you can bet your bottom dollar he would not want to be bothered galloping then!!!! I do have fun with him! See how we go tomorrow morning anyway!
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
LOL in my opinion there are cobs, and there are welsh cobs.

The welsh ones being stubborn, stroppy and a pain in the arse one min, and cuddly, loveable angels the next!

Last week my mare tried to roll on someone and reared up twice, massively in the school!

The next day novice hubby took her out and she was an angel!