Cobbles - Rubber Matting

Helga1980

Visit site
As you can tell I am putting a lot of thought into rubber matting at the moment!
wink.gif

Can you lay rubber matting over cobbles? All the spare stables at the livery yard (currently share a horse there but thinking of getting my own) have cobbles and I was wondering if it was possible to lay rubber matting and if so what thickness?

Anyone have any experience of cobble floored stables?

Tia

Visit site
Yes 3 of my stables in the UK were on cobbles - rubber matting works absolutely brilliantly on them!! All my matting was 20mm thick.

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks, thinking about it drainage should be better also due to the gaps between the cobbles and it's an old fashioned stabled so the floor actually slopes forward to a drainage channel!

Petrie

Visit site
Yes, you can, think it will work very well.

The only problem with rubber mats is that they are incredibly heavy to move, and they do get very smelly and horrible underneath. It will be a very tiring and unpleasant job taking them up to clean underneath!

I have rubber mats, and I wish I had bought EVA matting instead - especially as I recently moved yards and had to take them with me! A friend has EVA ones, and you can pick them up with one hand. I don't believe it's more expensive than rubber, but haven't really looked into it.