Cobs and Pelhams!

supercowpony

Visit site
OK, so this year I want to do some show cob classes with my boy, and have decided against a double bridle as he has a fleshy tongue, and not much room in his mouth.

I currently have him in a french link hanging cheek, which so far is what he goes best in. However, I am going to get him a hanging cheek with a lozenge instead as I think he'll go better in that as they alleviate tongue pressure.

so, for showing, I'm not sure what sort of pelham mouthpiece to go for..

lots of people seem to hate jointed pelhams, but I though this would be logical for me, as he likes his french link mouthpiece...
I've never ridden him in a mullen mouth or ported mouthpiece, but I think he might lean on it, or just take hold of the bit..
I don't think I would really be using the curb rein, so then does it matter as much having a double jointed mouthpiece??

sorry for the odd collection of questions!
actually I have ridden him in a kimbelwicke before with a straight mouthpiece I think... he didn't like the bit that much, I think as the curb action was constant. I think I would ride mostly on the snaffle rein of a pelham and have the curb chain loose so more poll pressure is used than curb (I think that's how it works..)

any suggestions/advice welcome!
thank you!

sazzle44

Visit site
I don't personally see the point in a jointed pelham. The joint stops the curb action from working. Although if you don't feel your horse needs a pelham then I don't see why it would be an issue if it's just for the look. Maybe you could use a pelham with a small port and leave the curb chain loose. The port is there to give more room for the tongue, it's only the really large ones that are used for pressure. I used to have a nylon curb chain which was left fairly loose as it wasn't neccesary and the bottom rein was simply for show.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
If the pelham is just for show then use the mouthpiece he's most comforatble with and leave the curb rein alone.

I also have a cob with a fleshy tongue whose preferred bit is a vulcanite mullen mouth pelham - exactly the bit he ought to hate!

Tapir

Visit site
my cob is also ridden in a hard rubber, mullen mouth pelham.

I'm actually about to go in the opposite directio to you and have a hanging cheek french link on order as we're going to be doing some dressage this year.

supercowpony

Visit site
thanks for the advice!
I think I might go for a double jointed pelham then, as I think the curb rein will probably be just for show.
If I can find a low ported one to try then I will, and see how he goes.
any other opinions welcome! :D

Brandy

Visit site
I woudl try a few and see what works. I use a jointed pelham with two of mine, as they both seem to hate anythign else.

superted1989

Visit site
My cob has a very fleshy mouth and 2 bits was a real no, no for him. I've tried a single jointed rugby pelham (no brakes at all), straight bar pelham (he hated it,head tossing the whole time), mullen mouth vulcanite (he liked it as he could bear right down on it and go as fast as he likes!) but, so far, a bog standard mullen mouth pelham has suited the best. He doesn't like the curb applied so the bottom rein is just for show! I'm borrowing a Swales to try at spring shows as he pulls like a train in the show ring (not anywhere else though).
For day to day, he's in a NS trans angle universal (think that's what it's called), or, for more exciting things (like XC or beach rides) he has a Myler ported snaffle with a flash noseband.