Cobs can do dressage - a trip to Addington

Three

Visit site
This should possibly be in Comp Riders but since I don't ride at competitions I feel a bit of a fraud! :D

Took Dom to dressage at Addington today and took a couple of out-of-focus pics (sorry, but my hands were freeeeeezing! :rolleyes:)

He didn't do quite as well as his last time out when he won with over 70% but still managed to come 2nd in his first test (Elementary 43 restricted) with 63.79%. :)

His second test, E53R, was indoors which was new for him and had music playing which was also a first.
He was more tense because of the strangeness of it all but did a decent test and settled nicely into 5th place.

Which just goes to show that even HW cobs can do dressage. :D

ETA: Thanks to Mike for doing the tricky riding stuff and Folara for driving - couldn't do it without them!

DominoAddington21-10-10001-1.jpg

DominoAddington21-10-10003-1.jpg

DominoAddington21-10-10005-1.jpg

Last edited:

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Wonderfull - well done. Will show this post to my daughter. She made fab improvements with her wonder cob - ie she can now trot round corners and canter a circle without falling on her face but hey have both reached a bit of a plateux. They are going to do the riding club winter dressage league starting this Sunday (prelim only) to give them both a Kick UTA.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Is it wrong to start of my post with saying I hate you? I want a horse with four white legs!! lol...

Lovely looking horse, funnily enough he doesn't look like a HW cob!

Well done though.X

Three

Visit site
Thanks All. :)

She made fab improvements with her wonder cob - ie she can now trot round corners and canter a circle without falling on her face but hey have both reached a bit of a plateux. They are going to do the riding club winter dressage league starting this Sunday (prelim only) to give them both a Kick UTA.

Canter in a circle without falling on face is fab! Took us aaaaages to be able to do that; in fact it's one of the reasons we started doing dressage - hopes of improving balance etc. Then Mike took over the ride and demonstrated that it was the numpty rider who was mostly at fault.... :eek:
And it's not 'only' prelim - prelim is the foundation for all that follows. :)

Three

Visit site
Is it wrong to start of my post with saying I hate you? I want a horse with four white legs!! lol...

Lovely looking horse, funnily enough he doesn't look like a HW cob!

You can have them - they're a pain to clip and keep clean!!

He's deceptive in photos - only just 15.1hh with his shoes on and built like a tank. Rambo exel & premier equine rugs barely meet round his chest or neck. Mike (riding) is 6'3" but Dom's width takes up a LOT of leg!

Three

Visit site
Thanks D_b_C :)

Wow he is stunning, love the clipped out look on cobs

He's lush at the moment - like dappled velvet but his legs look chewed as he hates having them clipped (Despite being hogged and de-feathered all year round!).

The sooner they invent Veet for horses feathers the better! :D

Ravenwood

Visit site
Excellent results - well done. He looks great :)

But more importantly I now know which one of my friends you are on Facebook!! :p

Farma

Visit site
He looks lovely! My instructor is a dressage judge and she judged at a regionals recently and a cob won the medium out of about 80 competitors!

Three

Visit site
I was disappointed,I hoped to see a proper cob with flowing mane and feathers blowing in the wind

Sorry. :(
He never really had enough feather to compete with the beautiful traditionals and their flowing locks so he had to become a 'show' cob (not that we do any showing! :D)

cob won the medium out of about 80 competitors

Fab! I'd love Dom to get to the regionals one day - something to keep aiming for! :)

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Wow, he is fantastic, lucky you!

So glad I saw this, am currently competing cob at Novice level, my instructor thinks he could maybe make elementary so might have a go in the future (maybe :rolleyes:) now I've seen this!

Well done to you and Dom!x

Three

Visit site
Thanks drh & luce.

So glad I saw this, am currently competing cob at Novice level, my instructor thinks he could maybe make elementary so might have a go in the future (maybe ) now I've seen this!

Yay! Go for it. :)
I love reading about 'less typical' horses doing dressage. We used to see quite a range of different types of horses at prelim, a few less at novice and less still at elementary. Come and join us. :)