Cocker Spaniel v Beagle

Princess16

Visit site
Which one would you go for? Undecided. Bit of background for us - has to be child friendly, will have lots of walks but will need routine as we work (OH works shifts - so always somebody home) want nice temperament and good with cats as we gave 10 yr old.

twiggy2

Visit site
2 very different types of dog, if getting from a puppy then any breed will be ok with cats.
beagles can be aloof and independent, they are also liklely to be fairly vocal, pickig up a scent and running with it whilst shouting their heads off is what they have been bred to do over many generation and those traits are strong, usually very tolerat ad relaxed around kids.
Cockers can be very needy ad highly strung, they can also be a bit sharper so not always so tolerant around very young kids but can be great with older ones that can take part i games/traing, often high energy but not so vocal and in my experience they are a difficult dog to loose as they spend most of their time under your feet.
How much exercise and training will they get daily for life?

alainax

Visit site
We have a working cocker spaniel bitch. She is 18 months, and absolutely perfect with my 7 month old baby. She is so gentle and kind with him, very careful and tolerant. She was however a wee terror with my timid cats between 6-12 months, however now the cats have learned she just tries to goad them into running and doesn't actually touch them. Now they chase her :p

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't know any highly strung Cockers. A friend works hers and he's turning into a very useful little boy. Some need a job and the workers can be a bit more motivated than the show type. It depends on breeding, so choose your breeder carefully. I have a working bred springer who is actually a lot easier than my pet bred loonies. I think a lot of working dogs are re-homed because the owners weren't aware that they would need more than the standard daily walk.

OP, you've mentioned two working breeds, which may need a lot of stimulation. A show cocker might be more what you're after, as Thistle says. If you're going for a pup, why not go to a local rescue and see if they have any in.

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I cannot fault the temperament of my mum's show cocker, he will take as much or as little exercise as you offer him, lives with a small child and regularly subjects the cats to intense grooming sessions which involves embracing them and licking them enthusiastically. I'd maybe consider him a little bit needy or sensitive but only in comparison to my very aloof, 'hard' dogs, he's probably more normal than they are!

My only warning would be the coat maintenance, the show type can have profuse coats that will need regular professional grooming or a commitment to learning how to groom them yourself including clipping/scissoring. The working type are much easier in that regard but will likely have much more intense exercise and training needs.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Don't know any highly strung Cockers. A friend works hers and he's turning into a very useful little boy. Some need a job and the workers can be a bit more motivated than the show type. It depends on breeding, so choose your breeder carefully. I have a working bred springer who is actually a lot easier than my pet bred loonies. I think a lot of working dogs are re-homed because the owners weren't aware that they would need more than the standard daily walk.

OP, you've mentioned two working breeds, which may need a lot of stimulation. A show cocker might be more what you're after, as Thistle says. If you're going for a pup, why not go to a local rescue and see if they have any in.

I have a show type cocker but no one told her that.......she thinks she is a worker and loves mud, sniffing, finishing things :D

conniegirl

Visit site
Id go for a beagle everytime.
We have one and he is just as happy passed out on the couch as he is going for walks.
He is very very good with kids and tolerates my sisters 5 young ones (oldest 10,youngest is 2) with cheery aplomb
Motivated Correctly He is bery easy to train (chicken is best for mine)
He can be very independent but also can be very cuddley.