Cold backed ??

maree t

Visit site
Sorry but it is a long story, we bought a pony last may , he was lame for the first three months as he had been over trimmed, He is a cracking pony but we started o notice that he wasnt happy through his back. Fast forward a few months and he was sound and going well .
We then noticed other issues and a new saddle, several osteo visits and he is flying again.
We have noticed though that the last month or so he seems to be sensitive in his back. He seems to almost collapse when my daughter gets on him . he has been cleared this week by the osteo so we are wondering if he has developed a cold back ?.
He is 13hh and 15 years old , my daughter weighs 6 stone .
Any experience of this ??

pippixox

Visit site
my friend is actually an equine physio- she has a horse who basically has a sensitive back- which some would call 'cold backed'. but ultimately she has discovered it is partly psychological- expecting pain even when it isn't there, and for some reason he just does not like the feel of normal saddles. with a western saddle he is fine.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm another one who says there is no such thing as a cold back. There is always a reason. It could be kissing spine, badly fitting tack, gastric ulcers, a rib 'out'. Sore sternum, sacroiliac dysfunction, the list is endless.

maree t

Visit site
Interesting pippixox, I wonder if thats what it is. He has been having problems with his saddle and a new one has been fitted. He shows no sign of ulcers or any other problems. If he is walking when she gets on he is fine so unlikely to be a mechanical problem isnt it ? The osteo has seen him three times in the last four weeks and put right the problems she said he had . He is flying when he is warm and very bouncy .
Think I better have another chat with my vet , he is coming for one of the others on friday

putasocinit

Visit site
Make sure saddle fits, space between spine and saddle, good numnah not overly thick, make sure horse is not lame, when mounting stand in stirrups for a minute before sitting in the saddle, but it does sound pain related. Have you run your fingers down his spine from his withers to his rump to see if he flinches at any stage? Put your two fingers on either side of his spine with gentle pressure and go down to rump see what he does and go from there.