Cold weather jackets

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
I'm trying to decide on a cold (& probably wet!) weather jacket for the winter.

I'm presently looking at either Musto training, arena or canter jackets but totally confused as to their differences and how warm they'll be!

At present its mostly for stable work (stables in barn) and walking/running round an indoor (but open) school with horses on lead rein during lessons. But the horses are likely to be up on the hill so there could be a bit of walking through the rain to bring them in. Added confusion would be that there is a possibility of my kids getting a share pony on a yard with an outdoor school (in an exposed location) so I could be up there a fair bit too.

Any advice on whether one of the Musto's would be good or if there are good (preferably cheaper ;-) ) alternatives?

JillA

Visit site
I got a parka from Aldi last year and it's been brilliant - warm, waterproof, washes well and has a brilliant snuggly hood. I'm pondering taking mine on my forthcoming holiday, it's come up so well. Or buying another, they were in the sale recently.

jj_87

Visit site
I am a Musto hoarder and have each of these! I love all of them for different reasons.
Arena- perfect for this time of the year where you just want a waterproof layer on top.- I wear this all the time, it is so stretchy and comfy.
Training Jacket- has a layer of fleece inside so perfect when it is colder, same strechy outer as the arena, so makes it so easy to wear. Nice and warm, only snag i find if i wear a fleece with it they kinda stick to each other.
Canter - more of a traditional waterproof, not stretchy i dont like mine for riding in, more for dog walking and yard jobs.
Shop around you can find amazing offers on any of these coats. Also very true to size.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I asked this question recently on here and got some recommendations. In the end I opted for a waterproof coat from Decathlon that cost about £40 and am pretty impressed.

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Its definitely true about trying to re-waterproof stuff - I've never managed to get that to work!

I tried to do a search to get up the old posts EmmaC78, but there is a slight hiccup with that at present! Hopefully it will work nicely again once the old posts are moved across.

CMcC

Visit site
I bought a ski type jacket from Sainsbury’s last year, less than £20, kept me very warm through coldest weather and short enough to ride in.

Fiona

Visit site
My decathlon jacket is now starting its third winter, and is still perfectly waterproof.

Hubby bought me a new Musto for my birthday though to replace the Musto Canter long that I've had for about 10 years and is finally not waterproof.

Fiona