Colic advice please

Troggy

Visit site
I think this warm wet weather is taking its toll on Toff as she has now had colic on Sunday and today
frown.gif

I assume it's the warm wet weather creating sugary grass? She is on restricted grazing (short grass) and is allowed a small amount of long grass a day (strip grazed) with Beano, this lasts a couple of hours between them and is old long grass. She comes in at night and has 4lbs soaked hay and a slice of straw. Her feed is 2 handfuls of Happy Hoof and supplements. On this regime she had been losing weight and looking well (still a bit porky but better....) however I am not sure how I can adjust this to stop her colicking (if that’s a word!)? She responds to Coligone and an hour+ of walking. Whilst she is ill she rolls lots/groans/looks at tummy/listless and her back end becomes wobbly etc.

Any ideas? Is it the short growing grass or the long old grass that's worse? Should I substitute the grass for hay/straw for the time being? If I could I would turn out less but this is tricky because I work all day.

Just after some ideas really
frown.gif

foraday

Visit site
What does your vet say?

Would have thought night turn out is better when the sugars are less and bring in during the day but then your vet would have suggested that so sorry for repeating!

Other than send horse to rossdales for further investigations if it continues?

Troggy

Visit site
Phoned vet for advice when Toff started and she said about walking round etc and talked about what to do then rather than future prevention.

Will phone for advice on management tomorrow but the turn out at night idea might help, thanks
smile.gif

dozzie

Visit site
TBH if this is abnormal for Toff I would get the vet out to check her over.

One of mine gets colicky if he comes into the stable for too long. Ive had him 29 years so can immediately tell if hes not right. But he never gets to the rolling stage. It seems to be stress induced. So I dont tend to worry, just turn him out (and watch him) and he is fine within about 10 minutes. If he was rolling I would call the vet as this would be abnormal for him.

However last year my old pony got colic (had never been ill) and the vet was called immediately. He wasnt concerned said it was a flush of grass. It wasnt.
frown.gif

So if it is abnormal for Toff I would call the vet out. Just to be sure. Especially as it has happened two days running.
It may well be due to the grass. But Im not an expert so that is what I would do!

Sorry if thats not much help!
frown.gif

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, it is worrying, however as she recovers completley after about 2 hours and is still eating/drinking/pooing ok at all other times, I didn't think it would be anything more sinister but I think I may get her checked out just in case.

Rueysmum

Visit site
If I were you I would get the vet to nip this in the bud, so to speak.

Something is obviously bothering your horse and a shot of Buscopan may put an end to it.

Weezy

Visit site
Trogs, do you feed Coligone daily? If not, then I would start. It will line her stomach if nothing else, and may just tip the scales in your favour.

Tia

Visit site
Troggy, there have been an unwarranted amount of horses come down with colic over here in the past week or so. I have had 2 come down with mild symptoms - I gave them a shot of Banamine and fed them some fatty feed and they were both back to normal within a couple of hours. Neither of them were thrashing around, more mild discomfort. They were pooing fine but have had moments of gassiness.

A vet was telling a friend of mine that they have dealt with many more cases than normal over the past week - 1 horse has been admitted to hospital (due to other complications) and 1 of my friends horses, sadly died of twisted gut.

The vets appear to be putting it down to unseasonal weather; here it is hot through the day and then going very cool overnight - this is not typical for this time of year.

I am watching all of my lot like hawks and it is getting a bit ridiculous as the moment anyone lies down, I'm over there! Best being safe not sorry though.

I'm not sure what to advise really - chat to your vet as he will know, specifically, what is going on in your part of the country....and best of luck.

miller

Visit site
There's alot of colic's here accoprding to my vet mate (they've done more surgeries in the last 2 weeks in his new job than he did in 4 years previously) all due to grass growth rates in this weather,

long grass contains less sugars than short new growth but echo the others about turning out at night when sugars are lower. Would also def have a chat with my vet re management - they tend to be v helpful (think they prefer that then overnight callouts!)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My TB does this - it seems to be that the sugary grass gives her a sort of gassy grass colic. She is better on longer, old grass (more cellulose, less sugar) and I manage her pretty effectively by restricting her grazing, giving her hay and haylage in addition, and Protexin probiotics as advised by my vet. She doesn't get much hard feed, but I was also recommended to feed Speedi-beet.
Good luck with yours
S
smile.gif

Troggy

Visit site
Reply to all!:

Thanks for all of your advice and help. We have spoken to vet who suggested much of the above so from now on she is going to be out at night only, stopped strip grazing and just on hay/straw until this stupid weather situation eases! I am also giving her 50ml of Coligone a day to help her.

Thanks all!
smile.gif