Colic Surgery

icemaiden113

Visit site
Just wondered what peoples opinoins on it were. Have a horse that has had impaction colic for a week now with no real sign of improving. Surgery was mentioned but as we don't own the horse its not our desicion so he may be pts.
Any views would be great though to persuade the owner either way!

GTs

Visit site
Impaction colic for a week is a long time and certainly zapping the strength out of the horse - not sure what you mean to by opinions. If your horse needs it, and you can afford it - you do it.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Pony at our yard had a Emergency Colic Op 18months ago, had to then be box rested for about a month and then in a restricted paddock. He was brought slowly back into work after about 4 months and now is back jumping and everything. Guess it all depends on the circumstances, pony and whether a section of intestine has to be removed (the one at our yard just had to be untwisted) as to how well/if the horse recovers.

icemaiden113

Visit site
By opinions i want to know wether poeple think it is worth putting the horse through it! He is not mine and therefore i do not have the final say. If he was there would be no question. He is under constant vet supervision and in minimal discomfort. And has on a couple of occasions shown signs of improvement!

dozzie

Visit site
For me it would depend on the age and general health of the horse. With colic surgery there is a high risk that horse wont make it so it is not a decision to make lightly. However if impaction continues horse wont make it anyway. I think you need to speak with vet and owner together.

icemaiden113

Visit site
He is 11 years old and a very fit hunt horse! Have spoke to the owner and the vet. But just wondered what people thought as like you say there is a high risk of losing them anyway! His blood results have come back almost normal so it looks like there is something in blocking his intestine more than the impaction,which is why i am more concerned as they could open him up and not be able to fix it!!
Poor lad i real feel for him!

rema

Visit site
At the age of the horse and the fact that he is hunting fit i think personally i would go for the surgery.Like someone has already said the horse may not pull through any ways.At least if you put the horse through surgery and it dosent recover at least all was done to save hs life!.Not a very nice situation for all concerned.I hope the horse pulls through one way or another!.Good luck!.

GreedyGuts

Visit site
The risks are high when horses are very poorly, as are a lot of colics when they are presented to hospitals. However, in simple cases like this where the horse is presented in comparatively good helth the chances are good if the surgery is uncomplicated. I would make the decision sooner rather than later. His blood results being normal is a good sign. Impactions are sometimes difficult to shift medically, but often surgical intervention brings about a resolution. Further diagnostics at a referral centre such as ultrasound could help rule out a more complex cause. Has your vet done an abdominal tap? If he were mine I would go for it.

jules9671

j666jwd.bebo.com
my horse had colic surgery just over a month now,his previous was colic almost every week sometimes almost everday, bloods came back fine could not find a reason for this spasmodic colic so last chance was dick vet in edinburgh to see what they could find, after a week of examinations etc they still could not find what was wrong only thing left to do was colic surgery, it was a hard choice,dont do it take him home and he gets colic again{insurance was paying} after all he has been through or just go ahead with it, all this time i was thinking it was something i was doing, but went ahead with surgery and they found a part of his bowel was attached to his body so they had to cut away the bad part and sew him back together they the vet said that is why he has had constant colic, that was a month now, he will not do box rest so he is in a small electric paddock with his mate and fighting fit, full of life,and wants to get let loose, this was all done with the knowledge that insurance would pay the majority of costs,i have since been told that he is not covered for any colic or stomach problems from june2007, therefore i have started a direct debit monthly for my vets just in case, i could not put him down and know i know the true cost of having a horse, hope this helps

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
My horse had colic surgery at the age of 16 and had 10-15 feet of intestine removed (it had been stuck together because of an abcess that had formed), he had 8 weeks box rest followed by 8 weeks in a small paddock on his own, I was able to bring him back into work after about 10 months when he had regained the weight he had lost, and he came back fully fit after about a year and we competed sj again for a couple more seasons, this was 12 years ago, and I still have him. Hope this helps you.

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
my horse had surgery 16 years ago when the op was not so common, 6 months off, back into work after 5 after very careful feeding, grazing routine. still here now having competed, jumped, dressage, quadrille etc.. Why on earth has it been left to carry on impaction colic is one of the worst. Get the op done if money available.

GTs

Visit site
I have seen 100+ colic surgery or their recovery (our hospital used to do 1-3 a day everyday!) - yes it is not routine, and there are no promises the horse will live but most horses seem to handle the actual surgical procedure and the following few hours well - I have seen one horse have 11 colic surgeries in one month before (he had two in one day - was painful in the recovery stall, and went right back to surgery). If you are in a position to pay for it, until your horse is 24+ I would not worry about it - the horse at the hospital is constantly supervised, he is not going to suffer if complications set in!

casey2312

s6.photobucket.com
I had a beautiful horse have colic surgery. She was PTS on the table as it was deemed her condition too serious to make any recovery. Though I would have paid anything to get her through it. Not sure now, if I would put a horse through that again.

Visit site
Sorry to hear that it came to that
frown.gif
. Atleast you can rest assured that you made the right decision.

As all the posts on here show colic is extremely serious. Surgical correction can be successful in many cases, but not every case - and there is the added risk of the anaesthesia. I am glad my insurance covers colic surgery on both my mares, but hope never to have to use it.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Also sent a horse for surgery. Unfortunatly when she arrived with Leahurst they decided they couldn't do anything and she was PTS there.

I wouldnt have hesitated on the surgery issue though. She would have died without it (and did unfortunatly) and yes, she could have died on the table but for me, the chance of her having pulled through was more than worth it.

PhenominalCat

New User
Visit site
Sorry to hear it has come to this.

I hate colic. My mare went through colic surgery at Leahurst a few years ago, and initially recovered very well after having 12 ft of intestine removed. Unfortunately she colicked badly within five weeks and the options were immediate repeat surgery or to let her go, and I chose the latter.

Having said that, if my other horse - God forbid - went down the same road, then I wouldn't hesitate to go through it all again.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Sorry you had your pony PTS...but at least you know you did the right thing after the PM.
My youngster's just had colic surgery for an impaction, two weeks ago. She seems fine...but only time will tell....wish me luck!
S