Colic - weight loss?

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Had horses forever but never had one suffer from colic. Last weekend we had one with impaction....and a very high heart rate. Tubed twice and fingers crossed now seems fine. BUT he looks dreadfull, ribs showing lost weight off his bum and big hollows above his flanks. Eating drinking and and bright.

He was not looking at his best beforehand but now looks dreadful. Yes I will get him checked by the vet but just wanted some views please.

Tronk

Visit site
Mine had a similar impaction a couple of years ago- he was in good shape (& is a good doer) before but looked like an RSPCA case after 3 days without food! Vet recommended sugar beet and cooking oil - he was back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
He had been eating fine, took him for a hack for about an hour and a half, untacked put him in the stable and he just lay down. Head back, eyes rolling. This was about 2.30. Vet there by 3.00 . Had v small amount of steamed hay that night and gradually increased over next few days together with turnout. Vet said he was in tremendous pain but was being very stoic. Just shocked at how much he has lost in a week.

Tronk

Visit site
Yes I think so- ask your vet though as mine was really helpful. Hope he perks up soon, it's horrid seeing them like that.