Colic

Jillian

Visit site
I got back from my ride this morning to find my other Mare absolutely dripping with sweat. She had obviously been lying down. Checked her over and apart from very wet seemed ok. She was not kicking her belly or thrashing about, quite bright eyed, tummy rumbling. Have given her a bran mash. She had a poo first thing when she came in the stable this morning. Only thing I can think off is we had some rain in the early hours and maybe the grass is a bit green. My question is do I turn her out tonight or keep her in ??

Jillian

Visit site
its a possibility although never happened before and stable is very big. She is not stressed in any way She has now dried off but I really dont know whether to turn her out in the field.
confused.gif
I am going on holiday tomorrow and she was meant to be staying in field 24/7 and getting checked twice a day but I think she will have to come in now if grass is getting to rich
frown.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
I would her out as normal. She doesnt seem to have had colic from what you say. As Parsley says, she may have been cast or maybe she stressed out at being left on her own. Mairi.
smile.gif

Jillian

Visit site
She is a very laid back mare and never stressed out when left, she had company anyway. She has just started on hayfever tablets as started headshaking I'm hoping they would not cause any problems like this
confused.gif
It did not look like she was cast as water bucket still in place and feed bucket so not been thrashing about. I am very puzzled.

Nari

Visit site
This may sound silly but it's warm today & a lot of horses still have a fair amount o fwinter coat. Could she just have got too warm in her stable, particularly if she'd been laying down on a nice soft bed?

If she still looks fine tonight then I'd definately turn her out.