Collie bitch producing milk

Blue-bear

Visit site
My collie bitch is a year old she had her first season back in Feb and im 90% sure my entire dog didnt get anywhere near her. Up until now i would have said i was 100%.
But anyway her teats have been enlarging recently and tonight they look really big at the bottom and on further investigation the bottom 4 teats are producing milk when squeezed.
Im not sure if this can be the product of a phantom or if this is the only sign she is giving that she is having puppies although absolutly normal in every other way.
Also if it is a phantom or anything other than actually pregnancy will they drain themselves or do i need to 'milk' her?
blush.gif
confused.gif

Thanks

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
One of my late Norwegian Buhunds had a "period" of a few years when she always began producing milk about two months after the season. And we're not talking just a drop or two, she had a lot, but her teats never really changed shape, now there's exceptions from the rules, but from what I know, bitches teats are most likely to change shape if they're really expecting puppies and especially the first time they're pregnant. That however might also depend on if what you and me would describe as the teats having become really big at the bottom, is one and the same thing? What I would describe that way, is very unlikely to happen unless puppies are due.

So before you do anything, you need to find out if she's expecting or not. If she is not expecting puppies, well actually either way, you should not milk her. If milked, she will only begin to produce more milk. If she's not pregnant, you cut down on her food (as in giving only half or two thirds of what she's usually getting), you exercise a little more and minimal amount of tummy rubbing when cuddling her, to avoid the risk of unintentionally stimulating anything.

Good luck.

Blue-bear

Visit site
waistline is very normal she is quite a lean collie so it would be very easy to tell, she is super active as always.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
sounds like a phantom preg to me, common after a first season, the milk should resolve itself in time as said try not to stimulate the area otherwise she'll make more.
guess you'll think of having her spayed if you don;t intend to breed as you have an entire dog!! not sure if thats why you;ve got her though!