Collie people what do you feed and why please

ladyearl

vvv
I am getting bogged down by dog food. Basically I don't think Tess is on quite the right food. Can't put finger on it but she's up and down energy wise and her poos are a bit too loose for my liking. She started on JWB Junior as that was what she came with but I wasn't convinced so put her onto Acana things improved a bit but still not convinced and it's expensive food not be convinced about.

I was thinking about Skinners but feed store don't seem to think right for her so I'm going to try Barking Heads fusspot....

She has a pretty active life, out dog walking with me during the day, lurking at the yard, cani x one night a week, obedience training two nights. So she needs energy but I don't want her too loopy. She has put some condition on since I got her and now looks an OK weight but I don't want her to lose any. She's one!

thanks to anyone who can bear to reply and go over this topic again!

s4sugar

Visit site
Funny how feed stores don't recommend the cheaper products.

I would try Skinners F&T salmon and if you need more protein & fat add in some F&T performance or try fish4dogs which is excellent and still much cheaper than barking heads.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
My BC is on Arden Grange - I chose it because its a better quality dry food without breaking the bank. He also has half a small pouch of JWB wet food just to make it a bit more interesting and sardines in oil once a week.

He is carrying a bit of extra weight at present (diagnosed with mild hip dysplacia before xmas so was on restricted exercise for a while) so he is currently on the 'light' version. However he was on the chicken and rice version before and both seem to suit him - regular, fairly firm number 2's, no horrible stink, he maintains his energy levels (without being manic) and generally does well on it.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
oh we've been through so many types of feed in the past with our lot, in my vain effort to get everyone on at least the same brand ! We found what suited one, made another loose etc. The best we found by far was feeding raw but just didnt find it sustainable. Then several years ago at the KC Int Agility Festival near Ipswich we noticed a lot of classes etc were being sponsored by Arden Grange and tbh, it wasnt really a food we had heard of up here in Scotland. There was a trade stand there and we got all the info from them and found a stockist - we've never looked back. It suits all our dogs, is high quality but not quite as pricey as some other premium brands. Mine all start out on the puppy stuff and then tend to go on to performance as they reach a year old. My older speyed bitch is on the light as is an 8 year old dog we have who has some mobility issues. I actually keep thinking of putting the bitch onto senior but at 10 she is still competing like a young dog and doing so well on what she's on Im loathe to change anything. Ours is delivered free by sunnyview pet supplies and I think feeding 5 we spent about £60 a month. Hope that helps.

wipeout

Visit site
This thread is really useful for me too. I have abandoned the JWB Junior, then Wainwrights Salmon and Potato, then Pro Plan Sensitive. At the moment I am trying Wafcol Salmon and Potato on the advice of the vet but I am losing the will to live with the whole thing.
I have considered raw but for various reasons it's not an option at the moment.
OP please keep this thread updated with your progress.

wipeout

Visit site
What's your issue Wipeout?

My 9 month old (possibly collie or Aussie or cross of one of these) has never really had what I would call normal motions. The first poo he does is usually reasonably ok but it's never very big and is almost always followed by much looser motions. He twirls round while he's doing it making clearing it up difficult and I worry about his health.
His body and coat condition is good. I have spoken to my vet who suggests sticking with the Wafcol for a long period because he has seen good results in other dogs with similar issues.
I am happy to continue for a while longer to see if things change but In have asked for faecal samples to be done if we see no improvement.
I also find it difficult to train him using the Wafcol as treats, he's not keen to work for it. My training club suggest high value treats such as cheese and sausage etc but I'm conscious that this probably won't help with our poo dilemma!

ladyearl

vvv
I have priced the fish4dogs and the barking heads and there is nothing in it so going to have a bag of each and decide. BH does have oats in the ingredients and F4D does not. Raw is not on the table so to speak. Still to decide on Skinners - slightly worried it might be "too much" as she's fairly hyper so don't want her off the wall bonkers. I had her on Acana and think that was a little "heating" for her. So ongoing saga.

Spudlet

Visit site
Arden Grange is pretty digestible, I'm told.

Henry is on Skinners, his energy levels are normal. I think the working dog label is more about VAT than the food itself.

KarynK

Visit site
My 9 month old (possibly collie or Aussie or cross of one of these) has never really had what I would call normal motions. The first poo he does is usually reasonably ok but it's never very big and is almost always followed by much looser motions. He twirls round while he's doing it making clearing it up difficult and I worry about his health.
His body and coat condition is good. I have spoken to my vet who suggests sticking with the Wafcol for a long period because he has seen good results in other dogs with similar issues.
I am happy to continue for a while longer to see if things change but In have asked for faecal samples to be done if we see no improvement.
I also find it difficult to train him using the Wafcol as treats, he's not keen to work for it. My training club suggest high value treats such as cheese and sausage etc but I'm conscious that this probably won't help with our poo dilemma!

Wipeout, raw diet fed properly with good bone content would sort out your poo dilemma quickly, It's hard to smear solid chalk anywhere, once established on raw and the dogs digestive system is back on track for digesting natural food you can use what you want for training, my two ACD's usually get pepperami, well it's better quality than the doggie imitations and they will do almost anything for it!!

TurtleToo

Visit site
Mine are on the local pet shop's premium own brand. High meat and low grain content, similar but superior imo to jwb, although the majority of own brands will be nowhere near the same quality. We moved them from Orijen to try this, and stuck with it as it worked. However, they are agility dogs so high energy isn't an issue. Orijen actually worried me with one of mine - she calmed down so much I thought she was unwell, so perhaps worth a try for some crazy collies!

ladyearl

vvv
Am back to say that the best poos are made by Fish4dogs so we are sticking with that for now. She seems to really like it and she's got enough energy without being too bonkers i.e. she can actually concentrate on what I am asking her to do. It's still early days but for now F4D....

wipeout

Visit site
Am back to say that the best poos are made by Fish4dogs so we are sticking with that for now. She seems to really like it and she's got enough energy without being too bonkers i.e. she can actually concentrate on what I am asking her to do. It's still early days but for now F4D....

That's good news. It's a relief to finally find THE food isn't it. It would appear my vet was right. We have had a good last few weeks on the Wafcol so I'll be sticking with that.