Colour query

First Time Mum

Visit site
I was under the impression that a homozygous black stallion would always throw offspring that were black is that correct as have been looking at a homozygous black stallion with bay offspring???
Thank you x

lillith

Visit site
A homozygous black horse will always throw a black based foal, black or red (chestnut) based is controlled by the Extension Locus (locus = location/gene), a horse can be EE = Black, Ee = Black or ee = Red so an EE horse (homozygous) will always pass on at least one E to the foal making it heterozygous or homozygous black depending on what the other parent passes on.

Bay is controlled by a second locus - Agouti, AA = Bay, Aa = Bay, aa = not bay (it is a little more complicated than that with brown and wild bay involved but they are not really relevant in this case). Any horse with a black base and at least one A allele will be Bay.

So a stallion could be EE aa and throw almost always black foals but if the Mare is AA or Aa she could pass on the bay gene making a bay foal. Not the stallion's 'fault'. Hope that helps.

First Time Mum

Visit site
Thats great my mare is chestnut and is through the majority of her bloodline so am assuming she is ee.
From what you have said can I assume that a homozygous black put to my mare will always through a black foal? She is a full tb if that helps.

Aidey

Visit site
Not a colour expert but I understand that a homozygous black stallion will only throw black or bay foals as he doesn't carry the chestnut gene.

Have a go at this:

http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp

I suspect the foal would be bay as the chestnut would then 'dilute' the black so to speak? If not i'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. That and depending on your mares gene's obviously :D

Last edited:

Sportznight

Visit site
If bred to a homozygous coloured or grey, then a homozygous black could through piebald/bay skewbald or grey. Just cannot sire anything based on a red coat (Chesnut/palomino/ginger skewbald etc). I think a dilute gene can have an effect though - so smokey black/buckskin a possibility.

amy_b

Visit site
Not a colour expert but I understand that a homozygous black stallion will only throw black or bay foals as he doesn't carry the chestnut gene.

this is correct.
if I am right....you are most likely to get a bay with a chestnut mare, but *I think* it depends on whether you mare is AA/Aa/aa, if your mare is aa you cannot have black offspring so swings both ways!

Truly

www.shannonleighstables.com
The Agouti (bay) gene hides in a chesnut coat...so if the chesnut(ee) mare is homozygous (AA) for Agouti she will always produce a bay foal even if the stallion is Homozygous Black(EE) and aa (negative for agouti.)

If the chesnut mare is Aa (heterozygous) she will have either a black or a bay foal depending if she passes the A or the a with the same stallion.

So only if the chesnut mare is ee aa and the stallion EE aa will it guarantee you a black foal..the black foal will be Ee aa

So you always need to test the mares genes before you try :)

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: