Coloured horses - white ear colour

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
A friend of mine has a skewbald horse with white ears. She has recently been told this is very unusual and indeed looking at pictures of coloured horses online all appear to be black or bay ears!

So how unusual is it? Anyone else got a coloured with white ears?

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
i think it is quite unusual.
if it's just the ears it's called a medicine hat and was thought to have magical properties by the Indians.

inverted example :)

1126_image1.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Could you post a photo of the horse? The most common pinto genes in the UK are tobiano (tends to leave the head the base colour) and sabino (only really covers the ears if it's covered the entire coat). There are other pinto genes. Splash can result in a white head.

sonny_reduced_size.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There does seem to be a few pinto genes there. It would be nice to see a full body shot, but from the photo it looks like she has tobiano, sabino and splash. the spots on her face are quite interesting too.

What's her breeding?

Mongoose11

Visit site
My girl has one completely white ear and one completely black. Not what you are looking for so largely irrelevant but I just thought I would share. Her big ol' ears are in my avatar thingy!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I definitely see tobiano, sabino and splash. It's possible that she has LP too (mottled skin on her face and the spots). I think that she looks like a bay (black + agouti) and white. If she does have LP, the simple way to describe her colour would be as a pintaloosa.