Combination bits!!

connie1288

Visit site
A slightly random post but i am thinking, obviously after lessons of changing Tinks bit for showjumping.
At the moment she is in a metal straight bar snaffle, but i find it quite hard to keep her round.
Last year she jumped in a twisted snaffle. We have also tried a hackamore, she went brilliantly in this, until she found out that if she bucked i couldnt pull her head up.
So i am thinking of going back to the hackamore but with something else, so questions,
1 do i use a combination bit or use a hackamore and snaffle separately?
2 If i use a hackamore, does it have to be a German one if used with another bit?

This is all just ponderings atm but any previous experiences or thoughts very gratefully received!!

catembi

Visit site
Adrian got on v well in a Myler combi...is this what you mean? It distributes the pressure between the nose & the mouth, rather than just the mouth. Some horses prefer this.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I used a pelham with roundings to try and keep my horse round. Worked quite well. I then moved to a kineton with snaffle which works better for him as he is so fussy in the mouth and it distributed the pressure around rather than in one area.

Madhector jumped last year in a snaffle/hackamore combination.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
I put in a nathe and hackamore, worked really well, but dont put roundings on - makes both completly ineffective! (found that out the hard way
tongue.gif
)

I liked the feel it gave you, as you got a bit more steering with the bit but could use the hackamore otherwise (as J was so sensitive in his mouth I tended to ride mostly off this rein until I needed to turn)

This was how I had it...

100_4058.jpg

Tnavas

Visit site
The Mikmar combination bit is good - recently watched a very strong pony behave itself impecably on the cross country. Normally the pony is dangerous it goes so fast.

connie1288

Visit site
She isn't at all strong, i would nearly take her xc in a snaffle, just v tricky in her mouth, I think we will have a little play with some different things and see what she thinks, other than she rather wouldnt jump show jumps!!