Commentators - BBC Olympic coverage

Acolyte

Visit site
I watched a little bit of the dressage online this afternoon and was lucky enough to see Emma Hindle's test - wow!

Just wondered who was doing the commentry with Mike Tucker?

I loved Ian Stark commentating on the eventing, much better than Lorna Clarke IMVHO
grin.gif

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Jennie Loriston Clarke was commentating on the dressage I believe

loved Ian Starks commentary - BBC should definitely try and keep him on!

Acolyte

Visit site
Thanks for that
smile.gif
I couldnt work it out
smile.gif

Totally agree about Ian Stark, but I always liked him when he was competing too
smile.gif

Haniki

Visit site
I thought it was a man but then realised it was Jennie Loriston Clarke! I liked Ian Stark's commentary too - he kept saying what I was thinking...!

Acolyte

Visit site
I did LOL at the bit where he said "I apologise in advance if I swear" during the SJ - you could hear Mike Tucker having kittens next to him
grin.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Agreed about Emma's test, it was lovely to watch, very smooth and I don't even know what I should be looking for, so very glad her marks were pretty good! Loved how Jennie was counting strides all the time too, she didn't seem to miss a trick; bet she's great to have a lesson with.

Also agree about the Mike and Ian show, they were great together; do hope they sign him up regularly as it's always much nicer to listen to friends talking naturally with a bit of humour too.

lar

Visit site
I thought Ian Stark came over very well - but just how many times could Michael Tucker manage to interrupt him? I kept wanting to tell him to shut up!

Acolyte

Visit site
I must admit when I first tuned in she didnt say a single positive thing about the test which was on - but it turned out to be the Korean guy who scored the lowest of the afternoon session

Wiz

Visit site
Totally agree about Ian Stark. Thought he was great - informative enough for those who know a bit but also clarifying things for those that might be watching for the first time without sounding condescending. Brill hope the BBC keep him on

Malibu

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I must admit when I first tuned in she didnt say a single positive thing about the test which was on - but it turned out to be the Korean guy who scored the lowest of the afternoon session

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but she was like that for most test, rather negative and she drove me insane with her monotone voice throughout the day! I don't usually moan but I actually had to put the tv on mute for 20 mins as she really did drive me insane!

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Agree about Ian Stark but (once again) found Mike Tucker VERY annoying.

How many times did he call Karin Donckers horse Gazelle de la Brassiere not Brasserie - he needs telling that a Brassiere is a BRA!!! Silly man!
tongue.gif

sunflower

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Agree about Ian Stark but (once again) found Mike Tucker VERY annoying.

How many times did he call Karin Donckers horse Gazelle de la Brassiere not Brasserie - he needs telling that a Brassiere is a BRA!!! Silly man!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad someone else noticed that - I thought I was going mad
grin.gif

measles

Visit site
Agree with everyone else - Ian Stark was great. Mike Tucker, IMHO, spoils everything he commentates on. How many simple errors is it possible to make? He comes across as a pillock, and Ian's calm wisdom and wit was a huge contrast - and relief!

lauraanddolly

Visit site
A lot of these comments should be sent to the BBC maybe then we would get Ian for all the events!
Didn't watch much of the dressage today but the little bit i did watch wasn't as good as the eventing commentary, I agree with measles about Mike Tucker tho - he was quite annoying, Ian was great.

Rachel_M

Visit site
I really enjoyed the repartee between Mike and Ian. Jennie was a little monotone but she did have wonderful insight at times.

Do we know who is going to be commentating on the showjumping competition?

BBH

Visit site
Totally agree about JLC, when I started watching I thought who is this bloke and how boring is he to listen to, but I think its true of a lot of people in that they know their stuff but aren't gonna inspire anyone with their infectious enthusiam. It must be so hard though when you know how many people will be listening.

Think MT and IS make a great double act.

sfward

Visit site
I actually liked JLC's commentary, thought she came across very honest and knowledgable, and it was good to have someone who actually knows what they're talking about, unlike Mike Tucker who can't even pronounce half the horses or competitors' names properly!

LindaW

Visit site
Tucker is the Murray Walker of Equestrianism, actually I liked him and Ian together too.

JLC isn't a good commentator. She was continually negative, spoke in a monotone, and yes while she was insightful and pretty much all of us here knew what she was talking about, anyone watching that didn't would have been bamboozled. She said about one horse that it could have been more engaed, added another comment, then mentioned again about lack of engagement - in one extended trot. For less experienced viewers, I feel it added to the whole 'dressage is boring' picture - it would have been good to hear her explain slightly better. Even a simple, can you see that the horse appears to be powering along with it's front legs, but the back legs aren't stepping under it's body to match? Even if someone couldn't see it, they'd have known what she meant.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I haven't seen any of the dressage, but agree wholeheartedly about how good Scotty was. The best thing was that it was like a free training session, I learned loads!!!! For instance, they showed a replay of the Chilean guy being eliminated at the skinny brush, and the horse was really backing off, Ian said that when a horse is backing off like that, you really need to hang on to the contact, not drop it like the guy did. Excellent, I could have spent £50 on a training session to learn a gem like that
smile.gif

The BBC, a public service broadcaster.....
wink.gif

skewbaldpony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Tucker is the Murray Walker of Equestrianism, actually I liked him and Ian together too.

JLC isn't a good commentator. She was continually negative, spoke in a monotone, and yes while she was insightful and pretty much all of us here knew what she was talking about, anyone watching that didn't would have been bamboozled. She said about one horse that it could have been more engaed, added another comment, then mentioned again about lack of engagement - in one extended trot. For less experienced viewers, I feel it added to the whole 'dressage is boring' picture - it would have been good to hear her explain slightly better. Even a simple, can you see that the horse appears to be powering along with it's front legs, but the back legs aren't stepping under it's body to match? Even if someone couldn't see it, they'd have known what she meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. they should have snatched back Desi Dillingham from the BHS. They need someone who can explain it all to people who have no idea - and lack of engagement, not going uphill (well, no, because the arena's flat ...) very expressive but not overtracking? .. what does that mean to the innocent onlooker!
JLC is a legend. But she's not a good commentator!
I winced and winced when MT was trying unsuccessfully to get her to explain what Piaffe and Passage WERE, and Which was Which, and what was the difference!!

Wiz

Visit site
Agree you could almost feel MT wanting to say could you explain that to someone who doesn't know anything about dressage but she just wouldn't take the hint. Ian had a lovely balance between saying something technical and then you could tell he stopped himself and explained it for those with less knowledge

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
Agree about Desi Dillingham she was fabulous at Gatcombe explaining the dressage displays. Really good.

I loved Ian Stark he was hilarious! 'I apologise in advance if a swear'! and MT- well i suppose I can forgive his mistakes because of his endless enthusiasm!

thewestphalian

New User
Visit site
I was thrilled at the opportunity we now have via BBCi to watch 5 hours of top level dressage, but I absolutely cringed at JLC's commentary. Have emailed the BBC about it and hope others do the same.

While I absolutely appreciate her ongoing contribution to UK dressage, she is a terrible commentator, providing little of use to those of us who know what we're looking at. If fact her infuriating counting of every single piaffe step and flying change drove me to hit the mute button.

What's more worrying though is the impression that stuffy drone will have made on those who are unfamiliar with the sport, and no doubt already perceived it as stuffy and elitist. A good commentator doesn't have to be the most qualified in the field. They do have to have some commentary skills though.

BBH

Visit site
I think you have made an interesting point here. I think MT also gets a lot of flack for his lack of technical skills but as you say most people particularly the non SJ's dont want to be blinded with science which is boring, they want to be entertained and I think he does that very well. Those that like the technicalities will know that side of things for themselves, anyone else will enjoy his infectious enthusiasm. And no JLC wouldn't inspire most people to become involved with Dressage. That was why I felt she wasn't the right choice to become chairperson or whatever it was, you need someone with new vision that can be a marketing persons dream.

thewestphalian

New User
Visit site
Though I'm sure there's a happy medium to be had, it's the exact opposite of the Katie Price scenario! It's all about marketing these days (think funding) and where we actually have a chance to choose an ambassador to the outside world, it has to be seen as a marketing opportunity.