commenting on others tack choice!?

elkiebean

www.sendbarnsequestrian.co.uk
hello

I just wanted to find out if people ever comment on others choices of tack for their horses.
either at home or at competitions?

I know people wouldn't agree with mine but would you make a comment to someone if you disagree, whether you know them or not?

just interested really? :)

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
If someone asks me specifically I'll say what I think but I don't really see any items of tack as verboten provided they fit properly and are used sensibly.

The only time I've stepped in uninvited is if something could cause an accident/injury, but that's only happened once and was an honest mistake made by a young rider.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If I knew them I might ask them why they use a specific piece of tack, but it would probably be asked with no judgement, I just like to learn new things. Otherwise I wouldn't comment unless I saw something dangerous.

Merrymoles

Visit site
I have done but only to close friends. I might suggest a different bit or noseband but it would be part of a conversation about how the horse is going, rather than a random "I think you should do this" comment.

I wouldn't dream of mentioning it to a stranger or at a competition. I wouldn't know the person, the horse or the background so would not be in the position to have an opinion.

The only time I would ever comment then would be if there was plainly a problem - eg, one of your girth straps has broken or your throatlash is undone.

catkin

Visit site
Having had a few horses that have made their choice of tack clear - and those choices have seemed to some people to be unconventional to say the least then no, I wouldn't.
I know in our cases the tack choices were made after lots of consideration and finding out exactly how bits of equipment worked.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I don't care what tack people use provided it fits correctly and is actually needed. Sadly, many people choose tack based on fashion, a glossy advert, what their friends use, what some famous person on the telly uses and haven't a clue about how to use it properly so the horse suffers, quite literally, at their hands.

Remember the adage of all the gear...

Templebar

Visit site
I have but I ask what it is they are using and why, sometimes what they say can teach you. It could be really logical. Or if I want to casually suggest something then I might say oh yea I had a similar problem with my horse but in the end she went better with x.

only_me

Visit site
I probably would if it was something like their bit was upside down or backwards, or tendon boots on backwards, which I have seen before! Have also seen knee boots used as fetlock boots!
Otherwise I wouldn't say anything as its their horse their tack :)

elkiebean

www.sendbarnsequestrian.co.uk
cool thanks for the replies :)
interesting to hear, ive read lots of posts about what people like and dislike with tack and what they think should never be done ect so just wanted to see if people kept it to places like this or would actually go and tell someone while out if they diddnt think a horse should be wearing a certain thing or a certain combo of things.
:)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
If It's someone I know, I would discuss it in conversation. Often if someone is using inappropriate tack, the horse lets them know, so discussing behavioural problems that they are having would include talking what tack might make a difference.

If it's someone I don't know, probably not, unless the horse was suffering or being dangerous, then I might make a suggestion in order to prevent an injury. People use tack that is detremental to the well being of the horse for many reasons, just because they can. Doesn't mean that even though I say nothing, I respect their choice.

If the tack is just for vanity but isn't casing a problem, then, fine. It has to very clear cut for me to say anything, everyone has their own ideas. I don't understand why people use brushing boots on short legged, wide barreled, heavily feathered cobs or what the point of travel boots is for most, though, not all horses, or some bit and bridle combinations.
But, every horse is different, so sometimes what seems a strange choice may not be, just as long as the rider knows what the purpose of the tack is and what they hope to achieve with it, then its probably good enough.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If I'm asked, yes. If I'm teaching and it's a problem or inappropriate, yes. If it's somebody out and about, no, but I often see things that make no sense and make me mentally shake my head in wonder.

PolarSkye

Visit site
This is interesting - a year or so ago we went to a clinic with Paul Tapner and he started out by critiquing people's tack choices (and fitting) . . . at first I wondered where on earth he was going with it, but got it when he made the point that ill-fitting or inappropriate tack can be a distraction for your horse - and don't we all want to give our horses every chance to be as focussed as possible on the job at hand?

That said, no - I wouldn't comment on someone else's choice of tack - or how it is fitted - unless either/or asked specifically for my opinion or if I thought it was dangerous/harmful/painful - in which case I would phrase any comments as a question "did you know that your XYZ is on upside down/back to front/has snapped, etc.?"

P

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've commented or questioned mis-used tack - ill-fitting / back to front / upside down, and things like using a double bridle with only a curb rein (poor pony was being hauled around by a very unbalanced jockey on the flat in an RS).

I wouldn't comment on an unorthodox combination or choice of tack unless I was asked or in discussion about performance with the rider.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
As long as it works for the horse I have no problem with people's tack choice....if I'm curious I will ask why a certain way or the benifit they get out of it just for extra knowledge but I would never tell someone they are wrong. Not my horse not my say so.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
As long as it works for the horse I have no problem with people's tack choice....if I'm curious I will ask why a certain way or the benifit they get out of it just for extra knowledge but I would never tell someone they are wrong, not after being yelled at and threatened by this girls mum when I told her, in a nice way, that she had the Pelham on upside down........five other people got the same abuse until the lady's sister came along and told her it was wrong. She just ignored everyone else up did change it after her sister said so.
Not my horse not my say so

abracadabra

Visit site
Yes and no. I've stopped people and told them their ponys tongue was over the bit, or pelhams go the other way up, or one time mentioned to someone that their riser pad was supposed to be facing the other way (they thought the wings at the withers were supposed to be under the cantle) :p but I don't remember commenting to someone about their actual choice of tack before. Might have done when I was a kid but I don't remember if so.

I definitely do have opinions on other peoples tack though, I don't go around with my eyes shut. eg when I'm watching a showing class I might think that bridle is lovely and really shows off that horses head, or might think that bridle does no favours for the look of that horse, or I will look at a rolled leather bridle and think god those things are ugly...but at the end of the day I don't care what choices other people make and I wouldn't be putting an opinion forward. Unless asked, and even then I'd think twice.

conniegirl

Visit site
If It's someone I know, I would discuss it in conversation. Often if someone is using inappropriate tack, the horse lets them know, so discussing behavioural problems that they are having would include talking what tack might make a difference.

If it's someone I don't know, probably not, unless the horse was suffering or being dangerous, then I might make a suggestion in order to prevent an injury. People use tack that is detremental to the well being of the horse for many reasons, just because they can. Doesn't mean that even though I say nothing, I respect their choice.

If the tack is just for vanity but isn't casing a problem, then, fine. It has to very clear cut for me to say anything, everyone has their own ideas. I don't understand why people use brushing boots on short legged, wide barreled, heavily feathered cobs or what the point of travel boots is for most, though, not all horses, or some bit and bridle combinations.
But, every horse is different, so sometimes what seems a strange choice may not be, just as long as the rider knows what the purpose of the tack is and what they hope to achieve with it, then its probably good enough.
If you had ever had an accident travelling you would never travel without boots again!
I've had a horse come out through a jockey door of a trailer and it shredded its travel boots, it would have had to be PTS if it had done that amount of damage to its legs!
I've also seen enough horses attempt to kick each other or trip down ramps and end up on thier knees that I'll never trace a horse without good leg protection

twiggy2

Visit site
If you had ever had an accident travelling you would never travel without boots again!
I've had a horse come out through a jockey door of a trailer and it shredded its travel boots, it would have had to be PTS if it had done that amount of damage to its legs!
I've also seen enough horses attempt to kick each other or trip down ramps and end up on thier knees that I'll never trace a horse without good leg protection

other people would have experienced accidents caused or made worse by the horse getting the boots caught up on something or standing on them, everyone has opinions that are created by their experiences or knowledge (or lack of).

I will say 'did you know...' if something is undone, broken or fitted in such a way as to be dangerous (bit upside down etc), apart from that each to their own. for what it is worth I have had a pony that would not tolerate boots or bandages she would just stop and rip them apart till they fell off.

pip6

Visit site
I've had plenty of comments about my endurance tack as it a) isn't brown or black, b) isn't leather. And OMG I used caged plastic stirrups.

Generally I just smile and walk away as I've better things to be getting on with, like riding. The ones most likely to comment (never about fit, always about not being leather or being coloured) are those who are scared to get out and enjoy their horses, but sit about having coffee, smoking and joining nasty gossip about others. I'd rather not be a member of this sad group anyway. If someone is bothered by your bridle (again not talking fit or safety here), then they don't have enough going on in their life. As I've said on other coloured tack threads when people wade in thinking you actually care about what they think, I don't give a gnats knobbly bits, their opinion counts for nowt. Forget what people say, just get on with enjoying your horse.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
I often do tack checks at Area Qualifiers and although we're there to check compliance with the rules (e.g length of whip / spurs, type of bit or noseband for dressage, etc) I will always check things like stitching on stirrup leathers and girth straps etc. I have told some people they would not be allowed to compete unless they changed their stirrup leathers as the stitching was so rotten I could pull it apart just holding it between my finger and thumb. It was ready to break and dangerous, especially as this was jumping. I dread to think what could happen if I said they were fine to compete (in terms of rules) and then they had an accident due to broken tack, no doubt it would be my fault and I'd be getting sued :rolleyes: I would never comment on appearance though, just if something was unsafe or causing the horse distress.

Shazzababs

Visit site
In general no, not unless its asked for.

However I have pointed out to someone that they had their brushing boots on the wrong legs, cos they looked like they were rubbing.

I have also mentioned to people about things which would get them eliminated e.g. Forgetting to take off boots\bandages\whips for Dressage when they are on their way into the ring (i.e. not just warming up!).

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I wouldn't make a comment usually as - hey what do I know of that person and horse decision making however I did once step in when I saw a 12 year girl who put her new bridle on pony and she had put the bit in back to front/upside down and the honest pony never muttered an utter even though the joint was poking the top of his mouth and the metal cheek pieces were pinching his mouth/chin.

Steorra

Visit site
If it was a stranger, I'd only comment if something was unsafe or clearly a user error. One time I stopped a rider heading out on a hack because the bit was dangling under her horse's head instead of in her mouth. Another time at a riding school (actually during an exam! Not somewhere I ride regularly) I requested a different girth because one of the buckles was hanging on by the skin of its teeth.

There are some bits and other equipment that I don't much like and probably will never use, but I wouldn't say anything to someone else using them, or comment on tack generally unless asked by a friend. You never know the background after-all.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
The ones most likely to comment (never about fit, always about not being leather or being coloured) are those who are scared to get out and enjoy their horses, but sit about having coffee, smoking and joining nasty gossip about others. I'd rather not be a member of this sad group anyway.

I have to admit I'm getting very tired of finding people like this everywhere, even on my own yard. The coffee slurping committee putting the world to rights and doing anything except riding their own horses.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Apparently it is perfectly acceptable to pass comment on absolutely anything that isn't your business if you're equine related.

Having spent a three year stint with a horse who would only XC in a kineton, I find it incredibly annoying.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Apparently it is perfectly acceptable to pass comment on absolutely anything that isn't your business if you're equine related.

Having spent a three year stint with a horse who would only XC in a kineton, I find it incredibly annoying.

It shouldn't be anyone else's business unless something downright dangerous or abusive is happening.

The one that annoys me most is people commenting on the fact I don't use a martingale for jumping. They look at me in horror (and these are people who know the horse well!) and gasp, telling me that everything needs a martingale for leaving the ground. My horse doesn't. I do not SJ or XC in a martingale. I do use one for hunting and have used one at the two team chases I've recently done as I had no idea how he would behave, or if I'd need something to grab on to, but I don't feel I need one for anything else. How is that anyone else's business? Horse goes XC in a bl00dy snaffle FGS, he doesn't require a martingale, I know what I am doing.

Doormouse

Visit site
My father was hunting a very difficult horse years ago and he had a 3 ring gag with 2 reins. Someone rode over to him and said "do you think you've got enough gear in that horses mouth?" In a very sarcastic way.

His reply was "you ride your horse and I'll ride mine"

nic85

Visit site
My father was hunting a very difficult horse years ago and he had a 3 ring gag with 2 reins. Someone rode over to him and said "do you think you've got enough gear in that horses mouth?" In a very sarcastic way.

His reply was "you ride your horse and I'll ride mine"

Wheres the like button??!!

I was on tack duty at a Pony club rally many years ago, I was armed with a hole punch to raise a few flash nosebands :) other than that I dont really get involved.

I have offered in the past at shows to people who are on their horses to redo a boot that has slipped or put a stray strap back in its keeper but again, none of my business what the horse wears or not :)